Bullnose Forums

door panel refurbishing

Gabes86

I've had these door panels in my parts stash for over 5 years, and I think it's time to fix them up. They're in really good shape, but have the typical chalky look on the tops. I've done some reading up on this and know it will need sanding down. I also need to paint these grey to match the dash. Is it advisable to remove the chrome trim, or just tape it off?

For those that have done this what are the steps for the prep before paint?

here is what I'm working with

20201006_160404.jpg.cb92fa3ae6e39fb401c8880a70306e22.jpg

20201006_160335.jpg.55dab5a301ba4afa0674390c3afa74d2.jpg

Sand them, clean them, clean them again.... Clean them one more time. Use an adhesion promoter, apply SEM texture coat, adhesion promoter, paint, paint again as necessary do thin coats, then two coats of matte clear.

I have my refurb posted in my build thread Hook em Up Loose here

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td75797i20|a76053

I'm actually getting ready to do this again for the new pieces I found in the junk yard

I have my refurb posted in my build thread Hook em Up Loose here

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/#nabble-td75797i20|a76053

I'm actually getting ready to do this again for the new pieces I found in the junk yard

I'll second the SEM system - I did some interior pieces (seat belt retractor covers, kick panels) last year, and they're still looking great. Follow the directions carefully and I'm sure yours will come out just as well.

I have always heard a kiss of heat from a heat gun will bring the oils back to the top and make them look good again. Haven't had any that needed it yet so I haven't tried is. Has anyone done this technique?

My mindset is it had plenty of heat in the cab lol. Anything more may melt them

I have always heard a kiss of heat from a heat gun will bring the oils back to the top and make them look good again. Haven't had any that needed it yet so I haven't tried is. Has anyone done this technique?

I did it on a Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle.

It does work, be very careful, you need just enough heat.

In the long run I would go with paint, I don’t think it looked as good as paint would.

Can’t hurt to try I reckon!

I'll second the SEM system - I did some interior pieces (seat belt retractor covers, kick panels) last year, and they're still looking great. Follow the directions carefully and I'm sure yours will come out just as well.

I used sem texture but color bond for everything else with good results.

Thought of something else ... Humidity. Humidity will cause issues especially with the clear coat because the mist is so fine it messes that up and you'll get weird clumping etc

Also when your done spraying each time turn the can upside down and spray to clear the nozzle.

I’ve done thorough cleaning, adhesion promoter, and vinyl paint and found the finish to be very durable. I’ve not tried clear coats over the color, but mine did just fine without it. If it were me I would remove the chrome rings but it’s really your preference. The retaining prongs are pretty strong.