Bullnose Forums

Crank Pulley Bolt

DH166

Having a whale of a time with the crank pulley bolt on the 81 Custom. It's a 4.9 and I've pulled the engine and got it on a stand. So, I can't put a breaker bar on it with the handle under another part and bump the engine. I've soaked in PB Blaster and run the impact on it for literally minutes at a time, with more soakings of PBB. I've wedged my longest screwdriver through an opening in the pulley and pulled with a breaker bar and four foot pipe until the screwdriver bent and flew across the garage. I've wedged a screwdriver in similar fashion and run the impact to no avail. I've looked online for a pulley holder tool for this engine, but haven't found one. Any help?

Your best bet is to mount the flywheel or flex plate and jam a pry bar into the ring gear teeth and whatever you can wedge it against. If you can get a good bite on that the crank pulley bolt will break loose... trying to jam the harmonic balancer will damage it.

Your best bet is to mount the flywheel or flex plate and jam a pry bar into the ring gear teeth and whatever you can wedge it against. If you can get a good bite on that the crank pulley bolt will break loose... trying to jam the harmonic balancer will damage it.

Thanks for the feedback. I might try that.