Bullnose Forums

XLS picture request

I haven't seen VIN's, even partials, on the engines of the trucks I've pulled apart. But there is a partial VIN on the frame roughly under the passenger.

Here is a picture of where it is on a 302. This isn't mine...my engine is still at the shop, but mine is in the same location as in the picture below. Just behind where the intake sits on the left hand side. Maybe they only did it on some engines/vehicle/combos, but if you search for info, you'll find that others have found partial VIN's stamped here.

enginevin_800.jpg.afeb3a5a72d2503ff2b8b6a96650742b.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen VIN's, even partials, on the engines of the trucks I've pulled apart. But there is a partial VIN on the frame roughly under the passenger.

Here is a picture of where it is on a 302. This isn't mine...my engine is still at the shop, but mine is in the same location as in the picture below. Just behind where the intake sits on the left hand side. Maybe they only did it on some engines/vehicle/combos, but if you search for info, you'll find that others have found partial VIN's stamped here.

Interesting. So that number sequence in fact corresponds to part of your VIN? My IDI’s have serial numbers stamped next to the injection pump housing but they have no relation to any part of the VIN number of the vehicle...

I believe you. I just haven't seen it. I've pulled two 351W's out of two different 1982's and one 351W out of an '85. And two 351M's out of two different 1981's. The 351M's had casting #'s, but not VIN's.

Interesting. So that number sequence in fact corresponds to part of your VIN?

On my 302 it was, yes. That picture above was a 289 in a Mustang forum IIRC. I'll take some pictures when I get my engine back (hopefully next week) and compare to my VIN. I did a little reading on the topic last night, but didn't find much info. It appears that Ford was really inconsistent with these VIN stamps. Sometimes they are there, and sometimes they're not, with no real reason why.

Interesting. So that number sequence in fact corresponds to part of your VIN?

On my 302 it was, yes. That picture above was a 289 in a Mustang forum IIRC. I'll take some pictures when I get my engine back (hopefully next week) and compare to my VIN. I did a little reading on the topic last night, but didn't find much info. It appears that Ford was really inconsistent with these VIN stamps. Sometimes they are there, and sometimes they're not, with no real reason why.

I'll watch for that on Big Blue's engine when it comes out. And I'll look on Huck's to see if there are any numbers there. Good to know, thanks.

I'll watch for that on Big Blue's engine when it comes out. And I'll look on Huck's to see if there are any numbers there. Good to know, thanks.

My 1966 GT350 had the original Ford VIN, 6R09Kxxxxxx stamped upside down on the right side of the block right behind the alternator. As for Darth, I haven't seen one nor did I see one on either of the other 460 blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd follow-up here since I finally got my engine back. You can see on the unpainted section behind my intake there are the last 8 digits of my truck's VIN (The "E" is a little hard to see). If you found this engine in a junk heap and you knew Ford VIN's, I guess you could figure out that it was a 1984 Truck Engine from the first couple letters. I don't know if this is what is considered a "matching number", but I found it by accident while cleaning the block after I removed it from the truck. The engine had never been out before, and there was about an 1/8" of oily dirt build-up on top of it. Just thought I'd share.

IMG_4597.jpg.5c93191ddc5b15e3e18abe6fbaee30fb.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg.4765f202d186602577dd8070ebb24c6b.jpg

Thought I'd follow-up here since I finally got my engine back. You can see on the unpainted section behind my intake there are the last 8 digits of my truck's VIN (The "E" is a little hard to see). If you found this engine in a junk heap and you knew Ford VIN's, I guess you could figure out that it was a 1984 Truck Engine from the first couple letters. I don't know if this is what is considered a "matching number", but I found it by accident while cleaning the block after I removed it from the truck. The engine had never been out before, and there was about an 1/8" of oily dirt build-up on top of it. Just thought I'd share.

It isn't that I didn't believe, but that sure proves the point. I've just never seen it, but they obviously did stamp at least some of the blocks with part of the VIN. :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder if there's a rhyme or reason for which did and which didn't?

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. So that number sequence in fact corresponds to part of your VIN? My IDI’s have serial numbers stamped next to the injection pump housing but they have no relation to any part of the VIN number of the vehicle...

13C52FDA-6BF1-43AE-B0E8-BA5977F4DA1B.jpeg.3cbda3468bd29ce05e87a2839a3dae75.jpeg

So I was a little afraid this might happen... the literature is raising as many questions as it answers...

The 1982 Facts organizer indicates the fog lamp option was for Broncos (was it no longer an option on pick ups after 1981?) except maybe as a dealer add on? It also says it was not an option on XLS yet there is a part number for a XLS fog lamp instrument bezel, and I own one...

Gary, I don’t see a tab on the web page for accessories and options for the 1983 facts book, but it shows in the table of contents. I am wondering if the 1983 book says anything different.

Edit: a very minor side note, the XLS was not available with the fuel economy package. And does anyone know what the extra weather stripping was about? Was this the bit of foam glued to the top of the door or something else?

9DE98BB1-F624-49ED-A0FF-D499622C3136.jpeg.4cbbb64add5ce789adbf27ca84166797.jpeg