Bullnose Forums

XLS picture request

I found one! ‘82 w/302. Same place.

Cool! Yes, my 302 has the partial VIN stamped in the same place as well. It seems to be completely random, but they do show up like this every now and then. I've done some reading on it, and according to some folks, these random engine VIN stamps were showing up in the 70's too.

I have two really nice books on small block Fords, and there is no mention of these stamped VINs in either book. Still, they did pop up once in a while, so somebody was doing it on an assembly line somewhere.

Any idea where this truck was built?

We need to call Steve Magnante, he'll get to the bottom of this!!...lol.

Sure would be cool if he did a show or a book on the Freewheeling and XLS packaged Fords.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the grille and headlamp doors, what was/is the original black Ford used?

Is there an exact replica of the black paint?

Was it the same as the black windshield trim and bumpers?

Vic - I think all we know is that it was "gloss black", as shown below from our page at Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding:

headlight-door-1_orig.thumb.jpg.0a4f73bb55ff2d50753c417049bb65c9.jpg

Vic - I think all we know is that it was "gloss black", as shown below from our page at Documentation/Exterior/Exterior Trim & Moulding:

Thank you, Gary. I’m proud to say I looked this up (a while ago) before posting my question.

The reason I ask, is I’ve read (and others have said) that for example the black bumper, and windshield trim had a black “primer” applied. But like it’s written in the catalog, they used a paint, and I’d like to find that paint. The same goes for the interior (has anyone ever seen M4J 1724-H?), however searching Google for those catalog numbers returns nil.

Is there an equivalent (as in the same, not “kinda”) available somewhere, from Ford, SEM, or DupliColor?

Or will I have to resort to making my own as very close to original, just like Ron/reamer did with the silver paint in this thread?

I found one! ‘82 w/302. Same place.

Cool! Yes, my 302 has the partial VIN stamped in the same place as well. It seems to be completely random, but they do show up like this every now and then. I've done some reading on it, and according to some folks, these random engine VIN stamps were showing up in the 70's too.

I have two really nice books on small block Fords, and there is no mention of these stamped VINs in either book. Still, they did pop up once in a while, so somebody was doing it on an assembly line somewhere.

Any idea where this truck was built?

Built in Ontario Canada 04/82. Trans also has partial VIN stamped on the case by the extension housing. Pretty excited to find both! Motor and trans going into another '82, tho.trans.jpg.ee4b0114db0f46948d06909603ac5c48.jpg

Thank you, Gary. I’m proud to say I looked this up (a while ago) before posting my question.

The reason I ask, is I’ve read (and others have said) that for example the black bumper, and windshield trim had a black “primer” applied. But like it’s written in the catalog, they used a paint, and I’d like to find that paint. The same goes for the interior (has anyone ever seen M4J 1724-H?), however searching Google for those catalog numbers returns nil.

Is there an equivalent (as in the same, not “kinda”) available somewhere, from Ford, SEM, or DupliColor?

Or will I have to resort to making my own as very close to original, just like Ron/reamer did with the silver paint in this thread?

Vic - I think you've gotten an answer. No one has seen that # nor knows of the paint code. But if you find it PLEASE tell us.

Sparky - Pics of the truck?