Bullnose Forums

XLS picture request

So I was a little afraid this might happen... the literature is raising as many questions as it answers...

The 1982 Facts organizer indicates the fog lamp option was for Broncos (was it no longer an option on pick ups after 1981?) except maybe as a dealer add on? It also says it was not an option on XLS yet there is a part number for a XLS fog lamp instrument bezel, and I own one...

Gary, I don’t see a tab on the web page for accessories and options for the 1983 facts book, but it shows in the table of contents. I am wondering if the 1983 book says anything different.

Edit: a very minor side note, the XLS was not available with the fuel economy package. And does anyone know what the extra weather stripping was about? Was this the bit of foam glued to the top of the door or something else?

Were the XLS fog lamps black?

As for the accessories tab, somehow I didn't get it scanned for the '83 book, but it is there for the '82 book so you might look at what it says. And I'll try to get the '83 version scanned ASAP.

And I assume the "secondary door seal" is the one on the top as I've not seen another one.

Last, you sure got a crisp up-close capture of the facts book. Apparently the new approach works pretty well. :nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were the XLS fog lamps black?

As for the accessories tab, somehow I didn't get it scanned for the '83 book, but it is there for the '82 book so you might look at what it says. And I'll try to get the '83 version scanned ASAP.

And I assume the "secondary door seal" is the one on the top as I've not seen another one.

Last, you sure got a crisp up-close capture of the facts book. Apparently the new approach works pretty well. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Gary, the scans are superb! I’m guessing the 83 book will agree with the 82 book but I just want to double check.

If the XLS had fog lights, there are no different part numbers for ones with black finish. Marchal made black finish lamps (used on Mustangs), but there is nothing to suggest they were used on XLS or that the surrounds were ever offered in black.

If the facts book is correct, and XLS could not be ordered with fog lights... then the bezel would have to had to be made specifically to support fog lights as a dealer add-on??? I sure would like to see a fog light XLS in a brochure, but no suck luck.

Gary, the scans are superb! I’m guessing the 83 book will agree with the 82 book but I just want to double check.

If the XLS had fog lights, there are no different part numbers for ones with black finish. Marchal made black finish lamps (used on Mustangs), but there is nothing to suggest they were used on XLS or that the surrounds were ever offered in black.

If the facts book is correct, and XLS could not be ordered with fog lights... then the bezel would have to had to be made specifically to support fog lights as a dealer add-on??? I sure would like to see a fog light XLS in a brochure, but no suck luck.

Well, it turns out that my book only has pages 23 - 33 of the accessories section. :nabble_smiley_cry: I scanned them on my wimpy little scanner and they are here. But, you'll quickly see that my scans aren't of the same quality as the other ones. But, I think they'll suffice.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it turns out that my book only has pages 23 - 33 of the accessories section. :nabble_smiley_cry: I scanned them on my wimpy little scanner and they are here. But, you'll quickly see that my scans aren't of the same quality as the other ones. But, I think they'll suffice.

Could you please post a picture of the invoice you have of the XLS I bought new in June of 1982

I have seeemed to misplaced the original

Hopefully I will come across it someday

Thnx

Jim

In 1968 , all engine blocks were supposed to be stamped with a partial VIN. I say supposed, because they were not all done. That is fact :) But I think it is fair to sayt as time went by, more and more were done to the point that all were being done as they were supposed to be. This is for all engine, lopo or hipos. Hipos though, had VIN stampings on them before the 1968 mandate. That also includes the transmissions as well on them.

Could you please post a picture of the invoice you have of the XLS I bought new in June of 1982

Thnx

Jim

6A0094E1-71FF-4910-AC1C-709BA3F3A4B4.thumb.jpeg.7e2143523d6e4352dce3f0b09a355096.jpeg

Thnx

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Thnx

Jim

So the guy on FTE that has the 1983 light blue flareside found his PM from a couple months ago and replied that he had posted his certification label for NumberDummy to decode. I found the pic, but the exterior color code isn’t matching up with anything I have. It is also hard to read. Looks like B0... or is it 8J? The truck is Canadian, did they use different codes? Anyone care to take a stab at deciphering this?

56175A43-3DDC-4DAD-AFF8-3F3AEEFFC221.jpeg.56e6d1f45043fc656254bc9f1a598007.jpeg

So the guy on FTE that has the 1983 light blue flareside found his PM from a couple months ago and replied that he had posted his certification label for NumberDummy to decode. I found the pic, but the exterior color code isn’t matching up with anything I have. It is also hard to read. Looks like B0... or is it 8J? The truck is Canadian, did they use different codes? Anyone care to take a stab at deciphering this?

First, the Canadian trucks did have different paint codes, as seen on Exterior Paint Codes. And with a bit of editing that looks like a "BJ", but it can't be a "B" so must be an "8". And 8J is Copper, which is a 1983 colour.

Does that help?

XLS_Cert_Label_edited_and_cropped.jpg.9321959278d729e79f532a92d301ba77.jpg

XLS_Cert_Label_edited.jpg.b7e16dac935dac6100ad384dc8ff9c3c.jpg

First, the Canadian trucks did have different paint codes, as seen on Exterior Paint Codes. And with a bit of editing that looks like a "BJ", but it can't be a "B" so must be an "8". And 8J is Copper, which is a 1983 colour.

Does that help?

Thanks Gary, once again I have egg on my face as you already had a web page made with the answer to my question. 🙄

I don’t think it is 8J, since the truck is light blue and has the blue XLS stripes. However, looking at the list I am inclined to think it is actually 3J, Light Harbor Blue Metallic. I know, the left side of the character looks closed, but all the 3’s seem to be for blue spectrum colors and 3J is a 1983 color so the shoe fits...

3497BE6C-6398-4DAD-BEFD-AD47481B86CE.jpeg.15a046bd8424b0d7dbf0c058adb03386.jpeg

35104DC9-E990-4BB9-A575-0C358BC2CE43.thumb.jpeg.e3e136ecb23dc243cfc25226db80d34c.jpeg

Thanks Gary, once again I have egg on my face as you already had a web page made with the answer to my question. 🙄

I don’t think it is 8J, since the truck is light blue and has the blue XLS stripes. However, looking at the list I am inclined to think it is actually 3J, Light Harbor Blue Metallic. I know, the left side of the character looks closed, but all the 3’s seem to be for blue spectrum colors and 3J is a 1983 color so the shoe fits...

I missed the blue part. And, that fits because if you look at the Body Codes you'll see that it must be "CB", which is "blue cloth and vinyl".