Bullnose Forums

Wood grain vinyl wrap dash decal???

Thanks Jonathan.

Here is the 3M offering next to untouched Ford Rosewood.

You can see there is a noticeable difference in reds vs browns and the sharpness of the grain. The 3M doesn't have near the black contrasting lines.

Inside the truck it's passable to the point I don't think about it but that is entirely due to them not being in this level of proximity. If changing the dash bezels it would be an all or none situation to me.

The edges around the cup holder holes are still stuck very well so I still think something like this is an option if someone has a sharp xacto knife and patience.

I just now ordered the middle one David found although it won't be here anytime soon.

That stuff is definitely more red and not as contrasty as you said. Did you buy that just for the console or are there other parts you are missing? I keep hearing that vinyl wrap is a good candidate for restoring woodgrain or cloning XLS but to my eyes it looks like it would be a nightmare to cleanly trim it to the dash bezels.

That stuff is definitely more red and not as contrasty as you said. Did you buy that just for the console or are there other parts you are missing? I keep hearing that vinyl wrap is a good candidate for restoring woodgrain or cloning XLS but to my eyes it looks like it would be a nightmare to cleanly trim it to the dash bezels.

Yeah, I'd never put them right next to each other before. The one I just purchased from above should have more black in it but it's so hard to tell about the red/brown by just the listing photos.

I just bought it for the console. I wanted to dress it up a little and tie it together. Like I mentioned, in the truck when you don't have your eyes on both at the same time, it works well enough. When making the console I wasn't sure how I'd like it so the only part that has the woodgrain is easily removable/replaceable.

Yes, trimming it would be a frustrating process but for less than $10 (second link from David) I am half tempted to pick up a really badly peeling jy bezel and see how it looks. Maybe a project for a cold winter night.

Once there is a hydro dipping option for any of the styles, this would lose a lot of appeal.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd never put them right next to each other before. The one I just purchased from above should have more black in it but it's so hard to tell about the red/brown by just the listing photos.

I just bought it for the console. I wanted to dress it up a little and tie it together. Like I mentioned, in the truck when you don't have your eyes on both at the same time, it works well enough. When making the console I wasn't sure how I'd like it so the only part that has the woodgrain is easily removable/replaceable.

Yes, trimming it would be a frustrating process but for less than $10 (second link from David) I am half tempted to pick up a really badly peeling jy bezel and see how it looks. Maybe a project for a cold winter night.

Once there is a hydro dipping option for any of the styles, this would lose a lot of appeal.

If you're thinking of vinyl, I ordered this sample to see first-hand how close it is.

The surface is not completely smooth, but color-wise it looks good.

64D788B6-7B07-4CB0-A546-761E76F35007.jpeg.bafceb8e0ed0f100c77a00d43b8a2a7b.jpeg542A635D-0867-44ED-BAD2-2EF72D831DCF_1_201_a.jpeg.fe0aa59c2c7266e18ce2d785377f1000.jpeg