Bullnose Forums

installing radio in radio delete dash

Hi Folks,

My '84 does not have a radio, and I'm curious what I need to install one?

I don't care about the antenna so much, and I know I have to supply 12v.

My two main concerns are do I simply need to buy a dash panel with an opening for a radio?

Or, I could cut an opening in the panel I have, but there's still no support behind it for a radio.

Is there a separate frame for the radio, or is that part of the radio bezel?

Also, where to put the speakers? In the doors, or elsewhere?

Am I making any sense?...lol.

image14.jpeg.5aa886a5beaecf91667f2f54b2726d1f.jpeg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW :nabble_smiley_oh: I've never seen one with the blank bezel before.

My two cents I have would to put the speakers in the doors. I'm also looking into installing a sub/amp behind the seat.

It would be interesting to see behind the bezel if the wiring and physical connection are all there or not. I'll be surprised if they aren't.

It would be interesting to see behind the bezel if the wiring and physical connection are all there or not. I'll be surprised if they aren't.

Nothing behind the bezel except a big empty cavern. I don't think there's any wiring there, but if it is, it's wrapped up in the main harness somewhere. There's also no antenna, or wiring going to the doors, etc.

I'm not really concerned with the wiring...I can deal with that, I'm just curious I guess if my only option (or best option) is finding a matching rado bezel to swap in place? The radio delete bezel is just a flat plastic panel...it wouldn't be strong enough to hold a radio if I simply cut a hole in it.

Running wires to the doors in a reliable manner might be a pain, but I'm sure I could figure something out for that.

Anybody familiar enough with the interior door panels to know if there are actual mounting points there for speakers in a truck that was not equipped with them?

Nothing behind the bezel except a big empty cavern. I don't think there's any wiring there, but if it is, it's wrapped up in the main harness somewhere. There's also no antenna, or wiring going to the doors, etc.

I'm not really concerned with the wiring...I can deal with that, I'm just curious I guess if my only option (or best option) is finding a matching rado bezel to swap in place? The radio delete bezel is just a flat plastic panel...it wouldn't be strong enough to hold a radio if I simply cut a hole in it.

Running wires to the doors in a reliable manner might be a pain, but I'm sure I could figure something out for that.

Anybody familiar enough with the interior door panels to know if there are actual mounting points there for speakers in a truck that was not equipped with them?

I guess my question is, when I look at the bezel in this Ebay auction, it also has no support for a radio. Was the factory radio just hanging on the bezel? That seems like it would be awfully weak to me...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-pickup-truck-bronco-dash-mounted-radio-bezel-trim-B115/183054431677?fits=Year%3A1984%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item2a9ee4f5bd:g:YJgAAOSwkvdadp35&vxp=mtr

I guess my question is, when I look at the bezel in this Ebay auction, it also has no support for a radio. Was the factory radio just hanging on the bezel? That seems like it would be awfully weak to me...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-pickup-truck-bronco-dash-mounted-radio-bezel-trim-B115/183054431677?fits=Year%3A1984%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AF-150&hash=item2a9ee4f5bd:g:YJgAAOSwkvdadp35&vxp=mtr

I wouldn't cut that bezel! That's a "radio delete" bezel and there aren't a lot of them. Instead one of us probably has a bezel that would work for you.

And, I'm working on upgrading my page on Radios to show you the differences and how they mount..... :nabble_anim_working:

Don't cut it!

Are you looking into having a "radio" exactly or just something that plays music?

Reason I ask is because I've retrofitted my truck.

I've installed THIS and use the amp and controls. I installed THESE Kicker speakers in the door.

I'll upload the photos to the Gallery under my Truck so you can see the Stereo Install.

If you're not wanting an actual radio and you'd like to have Bluetooth connectivity and an Aux jack directly to your speakers I'd use this.

I can go into more detail later. I'm at work and swamped today now that I'm not at lunch.

Are you looking into having a "radio" exactly or just something that plays music?

I've installed THIS and use the amp and controls. I installed THESE Kicker speakers in the door.

No, I don't need an actual radio, Ford or otherwise...I was just generalizing really. I really just need something with Bluetooth connectivity that will play over a set of speakers. I want something integrated...somewhere, somehow...rather than a portable unit of some kind sitting on the seat. My thought was to install a simple Kenwood single din head unit, but I really just need a Bluetooth player of some kind.

I'll check out your link and see if that would do the trick...

No, I don't need an actual radio, Ford or otherwise...I was just generalizing really. I really just need something with Bluetooth connectivity that will play over a set of speakers. I want something integrated...somewhere, somehow...rather than a portable unit of some kind sitting on the seat. My thought was to install a simple Kenwood single din head unit, but I really just need a Bluetooth player of some kind.

I'll check out your link and see if that would do the trick...

FYI, what I'm working on will explain that up through 1984 the radio openings were not DIN. They were a strange size and the radios mounted to a plate via their controls. In '85 Ford went DIN and the radios mounted differently.

So, radio bezels are grouped 1980 - 84, non-DIN, and 1985-86 DIN.

OK, so with either one, is the radio supported fully by the plastic bezel and nothing else?

Mine seems really flimsy, but I assumed it was that way because it was a delete panel and needed no strength.

OK, so with either one, is the radio supported fully by the plastic bezel and nothing else?

Mine seems really flimsy, but I assumed it was that way because it was a delete panel and needed no strength.

No, the radio isn't supported by the plastic bezel. I'm not done yet, but look here on the Illustrations tab: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/radios1.html