Bullnose Forums

Very Nice Rosewood Instrument Bezel

From the owners manuals. The 2-3 seconds for the Emissions is what I experience. Though I am using an Upshift bezel for the Rosewood...

UPSHIFT INDICATOR LIGHT (F-150 4x2 with 4.9L engine and 4-speed manual overdrive transmission)—This indicator lights with the word SHIFT to help you obtain better fuel economy after engine warm-up by indicating when to shift to the next higher gear. Its use is detailed under Manual Transmission Operation.

After the engine warms up, the SHIFT light will come on if better fuel economy can be achieved by shifting to the next higher gear. The vehicle will not be harmed if the transmission is not shifted when the light is on, but fuel economy will suffer. In no instance, however, should maximum recommended shift speeds be exceeded. The upshift indicator light should be ignored when downshifting, when going down steep grades and using the engine to "brake" the vehicle, or when hard accelerations are required.

The upshift indicator is an aid to obtaining improved fuel economy, but remember that safety comes first. Always operate your vehicle in the safest possible manner for the weather and road conditions in which you are driving.

-----------------------------------------------

Emissions Maintenance Warning Light

This light is used on certain vehicles to indicate when maintenance of emissions control devices is required.

When the light stays on continuously with the key in the ON position, it indicates that maintenance of emissions control devices is required. Refer to the Maintenance Schedule and Record Log booklet for specific information on the maintenance required.

The light will glow amber for 2-3 seconds with the key in the ON position to indicate that the light and wiring are functioning. If the light does not glow, there is a malfunction in your vehicle's electrical cir­cuitry and you should have the electrical system checked and repaired as soon as possible.

The light is activated by an electronic microprocessor which senses engine-on time rather than actual mileage. The light is designed to glow continuously when the vehicle is at 60,000 miles. Since customer driving habits and usage differ, the light may be acti­vated either prior to or after 60,000 miles. However, if the light has not come on at 60,000 miles and your

vehicle's 60,000 mile maintenance is to be perform­ed, the emissions control device maintenance will be done at that time.

That’s very helpful. Thanks, Scott. I don’t have the manuals but now they seem like a good investment.

That’s very helpful. Thanks, Scott. I don’t have the manuals but now they seem like a good investment.

It's funny - I've never thought to look up why the Emissions light lit up. I just knew that it went away (and I don't have the smog setup anymore) :nabble_smiley_beam:

Those snippets actually came from the Owners Manuals (not the big Shop Manuals) that Gary has hosted on this site under the Literature section.

Regarding the Shop Manuals - I think they are well worth it but I also like having hard copies of some things. A lot of the information Gary has uploaded but if you are interested in a set I'd setup an eBay alert. The prices seem to vary quite a bit.