Bullnose Forums

Broken exhaust manifold bolt in cylinder head

FrazerJames

Well I got a torch and all the fixings to get this out and I’m afraid I’m drilling a bit low. Should I go with a bigger bit now?

Also, I really have no concept of how long I should be torching for.

You need to get that hole as centered as possable. That hole needs to be drilled all of the way through the bolt to brake the suction and to make it where you can spray some PB blaster or WD40 or what ever into it.

Now you are ready to heat the front edge of the head, not the bolt, the head. Heat it till the head starts to look a little blue. Stick in your easy out and back the bolt out, dont stop turning on it untill it is all of the way out.

You need to get that hole as centered as possable. That hole needs to be drilled all of the way through the bolt to brake the suction and to make it where you can spray some PB blaster or WD40 or what ever into it.

Now you are ready to heat the front edge of the head, not the bolt, the head. Heat it till the head starts to look a little blue. Stick in your easy out and back the bolt out, dont stop turning on it untill it is all of the way out.

Thanks gents! I’ll keep trying. I am using a reverse drill and planning on using an easy out.

Thanks gents! I’ll keep trying. I am using a reverse drill and planning on using an easy out.

All that's been said so far is right on the money.

As far as surface cleanliness goes - that looks fine.

Remember - DO NOT put a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the head! Make sure that the manifold is flat the full length, have it surfaced if necessary. Put a film of graphited grease on the face of the manifold before you bolt 'er on.

All that's been said so far is right on the money.

As far as surface cleanliness goes - that looks fine.

Remember - DO NOT put a gasket between the exhaust manifold and the head! Make sure that the manifold is flat the full length, have it surfaced if necessary. Put a film of graphited grease on the face of the manifold before you bolt 'er on.

I’m using an Offy intake and switching to EFI Exhaust. Everything I’ve read says to use the gasket with the offset layer so that the washer matches up. Is there a reason not to go that route?

I’m using an Offy intake and switching to EFI Exhaust. Everything I’ve read says to use the gasket with the offset layer so that the washer matches up. Is there a reason not to go that route?

Using a gasket on a full length (carbed) manifold will definitely cause the manifold to warp and crack. The EFI manifolds aren't as bad, but they still run hotter if you use gaskets. We never put exhaust gaskets on anything with iron heads for this reason - the cylinder head acts as a heat sink for the manifold and keeps it cooler.

Using a gasket on a full length (carbed) manifold will definitely cause the manifold to warp and crack. The EFI manifolds aren't as bad, but they still run hotter if you use gaskets. We never put exhaust gaskets on anything with iron heads for this reason - the cylinder head acts as a heat sink for the manifold and keeps it cooler.

Very interesting! I can see the thought behind that. I wonder if separating the two gaskets will still give me the same offset. I’ll have to play with that.

Very interesting! I can see the thought behind that. I wonder if separating the two gaskets will still give me the same offset. I’ll have to play with that.

On factory manifolds, the exhaust manifold has a thicker flange for this reason. Back in the 80's, Ford engineering did a lot of testing to prove this, as we were having chronic failures with tightening emissions and higher exhaust temperatures.

Ford discontinued using gaskets on almost all engines with iron heads.

On factory manifolds, the exhaust manifold has a thicker flange for this reason. Back in the 80's, Ford engineering did a lot of testing to prove this, as we were having chronic failures with tightening emissions and higher exhaust temperatures.

Ford discontinued using gaskets on almost all engines with iron heads.

So, we gotta know - how's the extraction going??

Great question. I’m about to go do it literally right now. I should live stream it. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I think good news. I just drilled through the bolt and there a good 3/4 of inch on the other side that isn’t all the way in. Looks like they got most of the way out and then it broke. Just sprayed some on blaster in the hole. I’m going to let it sit for 30 minutes and then hit it with heat. Spray some PB on it to cool and then use the easy out. Let’s see if that does it.