Bullnose Forums

1986F150six

1986F150Six

I drive a 1986 F150 with a six cylinder engine. This is my everyday driver and is used for whatever is needed. I do, however, attempt to keep it clean and avoid scratches. I have driven it for about 9 years and purchased it from the original owner.

I live in Alabama and have made the trek to Skiatook, OK, 3 times now, and plan to attend the 2017 OK GTG.

My technical skills are not great, but have been made better with the guidance and help from several of the current members. I do have a gift of helping others find parts for which they are searching.

David - Don't sell yourself short - you are good at blowing smoke. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Seriously folks, he does indeed sell himself short. He found a vacuum leak on his son's truck that was well and truly buried, and he did it via the "smoke test", which he has volunteered to demonstrate at the upcoming get-together. I've never seen it so am anxious to learn. 👍

David, you are definitely underrating yourself here! You have quite the eye for detail and scientific method. Your straight six gas mileage recipe thread is a wonderful resource showing what gains can be had from various modifications. And then there was the tachometer thread with very careful documentation of the actual differences and the engineering numbers which are what people are likely to see on their own units. And you "gift" for finding rare parts is more of a super power!

David, you are definitely underrating yourself here! You have quite the eye for detail and scientific method. Your straight six gas mileage recipe thread is a wonderful resource showing what gains can be had from various modifications. And then there was the tachometer thread with very careful documentation of the actual differences and the engineering numbers which are what people are likely to see on their own units. And you "gift" for finding rare parts is more of a super power!
Amen, brother!  (Response from email so the responded-to thread shows.)

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 3:10 PM, Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

David - Don't sell yourself short - you are good at blowing smoke. :nabble_smiley_happy:

Seriously folks, he does indeed sell himself short. He found a vacuum leak on his son's truck that was well and truly buried, and he did it via the "smoke test", which he has volunteered to demonstrate at the upcoming get-together. I've never seen it so am anxious to learn. 👍

I will not be able to go to this years GTG, but I'm curious about the smoke test. Could I get a basic description? I'd think you pressurize slightly the vac system (with the engine off)somehow with smoke. What, a cigar, inhale, then breathe into a longer vac hose connected to one of the trees? I don't smoke, but hey, I have to figure out why BW is surging so bad and first suspicion is the vac system.

I will not be able to go to this years GTG, but I'm curious about the smoke test. Could I get a basic description? I'd think you pressurize slightly the vac system (with the engine off)somehow with smoke. What, a cigar, inhale, then breathe into a longer vac hose connected to one of the trees? I don't smoke, but hey, I have to figure out why BW is surging so bad and first suspicion is the vac system.

David - Could this be first a thread in the main part of the forum, and then a how-to page on the web site? I'm afraid if it is explained here in your intro thread it won't be seen - although I could move it if you wanted.