Bullnose Forums

83 F100 Upgrade

Bisquik1959

Cool! We aren't so hidebound that we don't talk about other vehicles. So, while Bullnose trucks have brought us together, we readily admit to having things like my '69 Bee and Bill's '85 LeBaron T2. In fact, many of us have threads on them, like Bill's LeBaron. And Bob's early Bronco.

I like the early Hemis. Is that a Caddy air cleaner? And is the Hilborn injection system the new EFI unit that looks like the older system?

As for the B-II, that thing appears to be quite capable! Wow!

So feel free to have threads on the other vehicles if you want.

Yes, the current picture shows a factory 4BBL manifold and Edelbrock carb with a repop Caddy air cleaner. The factory units were oil bath and alot of work to get functional again.

The Hilborn unit is in its mockup phase currently. It is #84 of 92 units made by Hilborn almost 20 years ago and has never been installed. That and the R10 overdrive are the current projects before getting her back on the road. She has to ready for Viva Las Vegas next September. I have alot of work to do.

101588566_10222984532988497_3858426046940446720_o.thumb.jpg.4887dcc34fb57dca5facb46c69d55e11.jpg

Yes, the current picture shows a factory 4BBL manifold and Edelbrock carb with a repop Caddy air cleaner. The factory units were oil bath and alot of work to get functional again.

The Hilborn unit is in its mockup phase currently. It is #84 of 92 units made by Hilborn almost 20 years ago and has never been installed. That and the R10 overdrive are the current projects before getting her back on the road. She has to ready for Viva Las Vegas next September. I have alot of work to do.

That is a very cool setup! Good luck, and keep us posted.

That is a very cool setup! Good luck, and keep us posted.

Not sure of the timing due to the engine swap coming to the top of the priority deck. But since I have a 96 Explorer parts rig, I am planning on harvesting the rear discs off its 8.8 and putting onto the 83. I should only have to modify the rear brake lines and redrill the rotors for the bigger pattern. Both rigs should have the 31 spline or big bearing 8.8. There is a 28 spline 8.8 used in Rangers and cars that require a different backing plate/caliper mount.

Not sure of the timing due to the engine swap coming to the top of the priority deck. But since I have a 96 Explorer parts rig, I am planning on harvesting the rear discs off its 8.8 and putting onto the 83. I should only have to modify the rear brake lines and redrill the rotors for the bigger pattern. Both rigs should have the 31 spline or big bearing 8.8. There is a 28 spline 8.8 used in Rangers and cars that require a different backing plate/caliper mount.

I hope it is ok to have moved the console discussion out. It was taking over your thread. But, it is your thread and I should have asked before I did it. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Meanwhile you posted about harvesting the rear diff, so I moved it back here. OK? :nabble_smiley_what:

Thanks Gary!

When you get into the planning stage for your swap you may want to take a look at what I've done. Not that the way I did it is the only or best way, but it appears to work.

In this post you can see the wiring diagram I created for the power distribution box I added to Big Blue. And in this post you can see the PDB as well as the later style battery tray I added.

And you'll need to interface the later system with the Bullnose wiring, assuming you don't totally rewire your truck. This post shows my plan on how to tie the fuel pump wiring to the ECU. But since I've not done the EFI part of it yet I've not done that.

Anyway, there are lots of those kinds of things that you'll run into, and some of them I've already done, some I have plans for, and some I haven't even thought of yet.

WOW... those are some fine trucks. Welcome to the forum. Love the 83 F100. My own is a 83 F100. My others are a 2001 GMC lifted 9" and a caruck (El Camino, not sure if it's a car or a truck. It has identity issues.)

Grrrr... truck started cutting out on my on the way home. Did it twice while accelerating. The ignition felt like it would cut out and the rpms would drop. I don't want this truck to leave me stranded. Maybe I should just park it until the engine swap is done. I planned on driving it till the engine gave out, but i don't want to pour money into it with dune season weeks away either.

I don't want this truck to leave me stranded.....I planned on driving it till the engine gave out

I think Finagle's law may get you :nabble_smiley_happy:

I wouldn't hesitate to post a thread in the main forum describing the problem so others can chime in with some tests you might be able to do and potentially avoid replacing parts that aren't needed.

Has it ever happened before?

I know you said ignition - so it didn't feel like a hesitation/stumble where it wasn't getting enough fuel?

When my duraspark module was going out, it would just randomly die while going down the road. I don't recall it ever cutting out and back in by itself.

Fuel filter clean?

I don't want this truck to leave me stranded.....I planned on driving it till the engine gave out

I think Finagle's law may get you :nabble_smiley_happy:

I wouldn't hesitate to post a thread in the main forum describing the problem so others can chime in with some tests you might be able to do and potentially avoid replacing parts that aren't needed.

Has it ever happened before?

I know you said ignition - so it didn't feel like a hesitation/stumble where it wasn't getting enough fuel?

When my duraspark module was going out, it would just randomly die while going down the road. I don't recall it ever cutting out and back in by itself.

Fuel filter clean?

Very possible its the fuel filter. Unknown when it was changed last if ever. It only happened under heavy acceleration. I will head over to Napa and get one this morning. Thanks.