Bullnose Forum

Horns

Matt Wood

Does anyone know the HZ rating of the dual horns in these trucks, my low tone might have gotten a little wet (i might have gone a bit mad with the pressure washer, but from the looks of it im not the first :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:) and now it doesn't want to work. I sourced a 'low tone' from a newer ford car as i don't have access to these truck over here but it just doesn't sound right. Rockauto sell horns but they're all a lot higher HZ rating that i was expecting. if anyone knows what the rating is for both the high note and the low note that would be great as i can then replace both! failing that if anyone has a parts truck with a pair of horns let me know, id rather stay original if i can!

Matt - I don't remember seeing any specs for the horns, just "high" and "low". And I don't have spares since many of those on the trucks I've owned have been bad.

But I have been able to get some of them working. The thing that typically goes wrong is that the electrical contacts don't make a circuit, and I've sprayed contact cleaner in them and gotten them to work. But sometimes even that doesn't work. On one I dropped it, quite by accident, and it started working. Apparently that caused the contacts to make a circuit.

However, if I remember correctly the horns have an adjusting screw which changes the frequency. Does the new one you picked up have that? Can you "tune" it?

Matt - I don't remember seeing any specs for the horns, just "high" and "low". And I don't have spares since many of those on the trucks I've owned have been bad.

But I have been able to get some of them working. The thing that typically goes wrong is that the electrical contacts don't make a circuit, and I've sprayed contact cleaner in them and gotten them to work. But sometimes even that doesn't work. On one I dropped it, quite by accident, and it started working. Apparently that caused the contacts to make a circuit.

However, if I remember correctly the horns have an adjusting screw which changes the frequency. Does the new one you picked up have that? Can you "tune" it?

I had a high that was not working so I opened it up and you could tell it had been full of water so I cleaned that up best I could put a lite coat of oil just to stop the rust and then put some sandpaper between the contacts and tried to clean and scuff them up best I could. Doing that got it back working at least when I put it back on it was.