Bullnose Forums

Test The New Forum Hosted On AWS Servers

Gary Lewis

Great! Try a post and see if you get an email notification that you have? Or, do you normally on this forum?

I posted, no notification, I don't on here either.

You'll only get notification on here, meaning the production forum, if you are signed up to do so. And you sign up by going to the level at which you want the email, clicking Option, and then the Email thing at the top.

In my case I'm signed up to get an email for every post y'all make here on the production forum, as you can see on the left, below. But I'm also signed up the same way on the test forum, as you can see on the right. But, it isn't working, so I've asked Pedro for help.

Snag_of_Production_Forum_Email_Subscription.thumb.jpg.b0df657dd083cb33ca9f57bb769638e9.jpgSnag_of_Test_Forum_Email_Subscription.thumb.jpg.52b25f2603208951798cc882415792c9.jpg

You'll only get notification on here, meaning the production forum, if you are signed up to do so. And you sign up by going to the level at which you want the email, clicking Option, and then the Email thing at the top.

In my case I'm signed up to get an email for every post y'all make here on the production forum, as you can see on the left, below. But I'm also signed up the same way on the test forum, as you can see on the right. But, it isn't working, so I've asked Pedro for help.

Gary, I made a small post on the new server. Everything works much faster even the large threads.

We are having some local issues caused by the rain yesterday but even with them it was still a lot faster.

David

Gary, I made a small post on the new server. Everything works much faster even the large threads.

We are having some local issues caused by the rain yesterday but even with them it was still a lot faster.

David

David - That is good to see. I think we are really going to like it.

As for the email notification problem, Pedro explained that we need to set up an SMTP (Simple Message Transfer Protocol) server. And it looks to me like we have that ability via Amazon Webhosting Services, which is where the new forum is hosted. So I think we have a solution to that problem.

Beyond that there are a few other things that we need to sort. For instance, Mr Nabble made a change that blew up our "joining process" and it would be good to put that back before moving on. In addition, we want to go "secure" so we have the green "check" by our URL and that may need to be set while we are still on the Nabble servers.

But when we get these things sorted we will need to set a date and do the cutover. It will take an outage of the forum, although I don't think it will be long.

David - That is good to see. I think we are really going to like it.

As for the email notification problem, Pedro explained that we need to set up an SMTP (Simple Message Transfer Protocol) server. And it looks to me like we have that ability via Amazon Webhosting Services, which is where the new forum is hosted. So I think we have a solution to that problem.

Beyond that there are a few other things that we need to sort. For instance, Mr Nabble made a change that blew up our "joining process" and it would be good to put that back before moving on. In addition, we want to go "secure" so we have the green "check" by our URL and that may need to be set while we are still on the Nabble servers.

But when we get these things sorted we will need to set a date and do the cutover. It will take an outage of the forum, although I don't think it will be long.

Sounds good sir, I noticed the issue on the joining process as my test signup using my Yahoo account I was able to post anywhere as soon as I was accepted.