Bullnose Forums

T2K-CAR

85lebaront2

That makes sense, Bill. And the pin prevents movement. :nabble_smiley_good:

I fitted the modified (home made?) gear on the 2.5L short block and found that the OD of the 42 tooth gear has a slight interference fit with the front cover, I also discovered that the front cover curved area where the 40 tooth gear normally runs, is not exactly aligned with the circumference of the gear.

The 42 tooth gear lightly rubs the outer edge of the curved area, but at the inner edge it flat digs into the casting by somewhere between 1/32 - 1/16".

IMG_3052.thumb.jpg.f0cc39d3915ef4bf113ded564c541e3a.jpg

IMG_3053.thumb.jpg.11cdb39572b2b3fa18a97ee2970ff55b.jpg

I roughed it in a bit, but will still need to work on it a bit more.

I fitted the modified (home made?) gear on the 2.5L short block and found that the OD of the 42 tooth gear has a slight interference fit with the front cover, I also discovered that the front cover curved area where the 40 tooth gear normally runs, is not exactly aligned with the circumference of the gear.

The 42 tooth gear lightly rubs the outer edge of the curved area, but at the inner edge it flat digs into the casting by somewhere between 1/32 - 1/16".

I roughed it in a bit, but will still need to work on it a bit more.

Can you turn it down a bit in the lathe?

Can you turn it down a bit in the lathe?

I really don't want to reduce the OD, as the belt is a half round tooth. This shaft drives the oil pump so I really (a) don't want to risk it slipping and (b) DOHC head is an interference style, so if the belt gets chewed up it could get messy fast.

I really don't want to reduce the OD, as the belt is a half round tooth. This shaft drives the oil pump so I really (a) don't want to risk it slipping and (b) DOHC head is an interference style, so if the belt gets chewed up it could get messy fast.

I was thinking about just turning the corner down that I thought is the problem. But maybe I misunderstood.

So, what's the plan?

Ok. Is there enough material in the cover?

Definitely, it is pretty much a solid casting in that area. The thin flange will be mostly gone though.

Once everything is fitted up, I will probably take some sheet metal and build a cover for the area to keep sand and gravel out of the belt.

Definitely, it is pretty much a solid casting in that area. The thin flange will be mostly gone though.

Once everything is fitted up, I will probably take some sheet metal and build a cover for the area to keep sand and gravel out of the belt.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Sounds like a plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good:

I redid my intermediate shaft gear, I was originally going to use the stock 1989 gear, but getting it to line up with the 2.4L cam gears was a royal pain. DblTrbl sent me pictures of his 2007 Neon project. He used some cam gears that sat in a little further than mine and modified a 2.2/2.5L gear and 2.4L gear to get a 42 tooth intermediate shaft gear.

I did essentially the same thing, but my first try had more radial run out than I liked (that one used an old 2.2L square tooth gear and a 2.4L cam gear). The second try used a 2.5L round tooth gear and a 2.4L cam gear. This one seems to run very true. After cutting the OD of the 2.5L gear down to fit in the ID of the 2.4L gear and beveled the leading edge of the teeth on the 2.5L gear so it would fit all the way into the 2.4L gear ID. Once this was done I determined that the combination was roughly 1/8" too far out from the block, so I shortened the inner portion of the 2.5L hub so the 2.4L gear set exactly in line with the crank gear. I found a thick flat washer exactly the needed thickness to fill the gap between the hubs so the thin outer gear center won't crack.

DSCN5535.thumb.jpg.06ea3b719d8a4c77ed8f8346637579b8.jpg

DSCN5537.thumb.jpg.fe73939f46547472046183b288b5186c.jpg

DSCN5539.thumb.jpg.babfc233d7a72fa5912e0f7fe4c4aeab.jpg

DSCN5540.thumb.jpg.9fcf1722bb401fc376bc96c641a4ca21.jpg

I then finished clearancing the front cover so the gear doesn't rub.

DSCN5536.thumb.jpg.dd5fd33df1162bd333c91611d5b66e0f.jpg

I redid my intermediate shaft gear, I was originally going to use the stock 1989 gear, but getting it to line up with the 2.4L cam gears was a royal pain. DblTrbl sent me pictures of his 2007 Neon project. He used some cam gears that sat in a little further than mine and modified a 2.2/2.5L gear and 2.4L gear to get a 42 tooth intermediate shaft gear.

I did essentially the same thing, but my first try had more radial run out than I liked (that one used an old 2.2L square tooth gear and a 2.4L cam gear). The second try used a 2.5L round tooth gear and a 2.4L cam gear. This one seems to run very true. After cutting the OD of the 2.5L gear down to fit in the ID of the 2.4L gear and beveled the leading edge of the teeth on the 2.5L gear so it would fit all the way into the 2.4L gear ID. Once this was done I determined that the combination was roughly 1/8" too far out from the block, so I shortened the inner portion of the 2.5L hub so the 2.4L gear set exactly in line with the crank gear. I found a thick flat washer exactly the needed thickness to fill the gap between the hubs so the thin outer gear center won't crack.

I then finished clearancing the front cover so the gear doesn't rub.

Good job! That makes sense and looks good! :nabble_anim_claps: