Bullnose Forums

Transmission Crossmember Gussets 4x4

salans7

:nabble_smiley_cry: The 1985 master cross reference ends the listings with E5TZ 6A023-G. No -H, so it was apparently a late '85 entry as my book was published in April of '85. And the '91 cross ref doesn't go back that far.

So I'll contact Numberdummy and see if he can help.

Thanks Gary! If he is or isn't able to help, tell him I said thank you as well.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I'll do that, Shaun. If I haven't heard back from my email I'll ping him on FB Messenger.

A few days ago, I found a listing on Ebay for a transmission crossmember from a 1987? Bronco with an AOD. Best part was that it was CHEAP, so I bought it and received it in, knowing I would probably have to modify it. Sure enough, the gussets were slightly off, but not off enough to where I couldn't make them work. I had to notch one of the holes in my crossmember on the driver's side, and on the passenger side I cut a little over an inch off the top of the gusset and re-drilled the holes. They both now fit my existing crossmember, however I may end up trying out the AOD crossmember once I have the T19 in because it is in almost new condition compared to my existing one. If I do end up using the AOD one, I will either have to find a new RH gusset, or I will redrill the holes in the crossmember. Either way, I'm glad I finally have some gussets. I've pretty much decided to just run this style of crossmember since finding the 1986 1 ton version won't be easy, and Gary is using the style I have without issue. If I have clearance issues due to my lift, I will just modify the crossmember to gain clearance.

The AOD crossmember is the one with three holes for the transmission mount.

DSCN2521.jpg.e605b9ca60bb16c6b96997d4d6988003.jpg

DSCN2522.jpg.20ad7415255be1b6d456e58eaf9e998a.jpg

DSCN2523.jpg.c4fd2e59d10f48d75c3756fb72c0206e.jpg

DSCN2524.jpg.d20212593e0eda0d663bc117f074cf51.jpg

A few days ago, I found a listing on Ebay for a transmission crossmember from a 1987? Bronco with an AOD. Best part was that it was CHEAP, so I bought it and received it in, knowing I would probably have to modify it. Sure enough, the gussets were slightly off, but not off enough to where I couldn't make them work. I had to notch one of the holes in my crossmember on the driver's side, and on the passenger side I cut a little over an inch off the top of the gusset and re-drilled the holes. They both now fit my existing crossmember, however I may end up trying out the AOD crossmember once I have the T19 in because it is in almost new condition compared to my existing one. If I do end up using the AOD one, I will either have to find a new RH gusset, or I will redrill the holes in the crossmember. Either way, I'm glad I finally have some gussets. I've pretty much decided to just run this style of crossmember since finding the 1986 1 ton version won't be easy, and Gary is using the style I have without issue. If I have clearance issues due to my lift, I will just modify the crossmember to gain clearance.

The AOD crossmember is the one with three holes for the transmission mount.

Nice find Shaun!

Must be hard to find stuff for your 1 ton. It’s hard to find 4WD one tons of this era.

Nice find Shaun!

Must be hard to find stuff for your 1 ton. It’s hard to find 4WD one tons of this era.

Thanks!

I didn't realize how many one-off, few-year only parts they had. I had to build this one from a 4x2 one ton, which makes it more challenging.

Nice find Shaun!

Thanks!

I didn't realize how many one-off, few-year only parts they had. I had to build this one from a 4x2 one ton, which makes it more challenging.

Good find, Shaun. I think that AOD crossmember will work. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 years later...

I have several where are you located. I almost always use the newer style that the drivers side bolts to the outside of the frame.

do you still have one floating around? i’ve been looking for one for a while so i can put my new 4x4 trans in the truck, but all the ones at local yards are rotten or impossible to remove from the truck