Transmission Crossmember Gussets 4x4

salans7

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yes - this will be great for Shaun!

Seems like every time I've gone to the jy lately it's been muddy and now the thorns have started to claim ownership of the trucks.

I believe I have found one locally. If that deal falls through, I will message you. Thanks!

Hope it works out, Shaun.

Thanks, I've already worked out all of the details, just need to go pick it up on Saturday.

Well I picked up the crossmember, and it's in great shape. But I learned the hard way that ZF5 gussets won't work with the older style crossmember. I'm not willing to drill holes into the crossmember, so I'm hoping the guy who I bought the crossmember from still has the gussets lying around.

Well I picked up the crossmember, and it's in great shape. But I learned the hard way that ZF5 gussets won't work with the older style crossmember. I'm not willing to drill holes into the crossmember, so I'm hoping the guy who I bought the crossmember from still has the gussets lying around.

Bummer! Hope he does.

Bummer! Hope he does.

He didn't. He bought the junkyard a few months ago as-is, and the crossmember was pulled prior to his ownership. He was nice enough to check under the truck as well, but they weren't there. I'll have to find them elsewhere. The crossmember is the important part, I can always modify the ZF gussets if need be.

He didn't. He bought the junkyard a few months ago as-is, and the crossmember was pulled prior to his ownership. He was nice enough to check under the truck as well, but they weren't there. I'll have to find them elsewhere. The crossmember is the important part, I can always modify the ZF gussets if need be.

Do the gussets just not line up right? Big Blue's gussets didn't but I was able to get the bolts in and tightened down and the gussets "adjusted to fit".

Do the gussets just not line up right? Big Blue's gussets didn't but I was able to get the bolts in and tightened down and the gussets "adjusted to fit".

On the driver's side, one hole is 1" off. On the passenger side, the holes aren't even close. I'll investigate it more tomorrow to see what my options are. I knew ZF5 crossmembers were different, and should have figured the gussets are too. When I compare what's left of the ZF5 crossmember I have to the crossmember I picked up today, you can tell the ZF5 crossmember angles back further. And so do the gussets.