Bullnose Forums

New engine - but is it getting fuel?

Thanks, Bill! Coil is likely bad, so I ordered a new one. However, there are other coil related tests I want to do as well as a TFI module and PIP test. Want to make sure all is working as it should.

Today I ran tests to the Ignition Control Module (TFI) using my voltmeter.

Here's the results.

1. Tested for power to the module = 12+v

2. Tested the ground circuit = 12+v

3. Tested for Ignition Coil Switching = Voltmeter switched from a reading of volts to no volts back and forth as engine was cranking. This means the ignition control module is triggering the coil as it should.

I know my ignition control module is working and the connections I made are good.

My crank-but-no-start situation has GOT to be the coil. If you good gents think of something else I should test, please share.

Thanks!!

Today I ran tests to the Ignition Control Module (TFI) using my voltmeter.

Here's the results.

1. Tested for power to the module = 12+v

2. Tested the ground circuit = 12+v

3. Tested for Ignition Coil Switching = Voltmeter switched from a reading of volts to no volts back and forth as engine was cranking. This means the ignition control module is triggering the coil as it should.

I know my ignition control module is working and the connections I made are good.

My crank-but-no-start situation has GOT to be the coil. If you good gents think of something else I should test, please share.

Thanks!!

Pull the coil/distributor wire and place it close to a good ground. When you crank the engine you should see a good white or blue spark. If so, the coil is good.

Pull the coil/distributor wire and place it close to a good ground. When you crank the engine you should see a good white or blue spark. If so, the coil is good.

Hi Gary -

Yes, I did that, but I had a reason to make this more complicated. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I extended the wiring to the ignition control module (TFI) because I want to mount the TFI remotely so as to preserve it's life. Gets too hot mounted to the distributor and that heat is cause for TFI failure.

So I wanted to (1), check that my TFI module is still good, and (2), ensure all of my new connections are solid.

Passed on both counts and also served as another indicator that the coil is bad.

Prior coil testing involved primary and secondary resistance. Overkill, maybe, or possibly showing off newly acquired skills. :nabble_anim_jump:

Steve

Hi Gary -

Yes, I did that, but I had a reason to make this more complicated. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I extended the wiring to the ignition control module (TFI) because I want to mount the TFI remotely so as to preserve it's life. Gets too hot mounted to the distributor and that heat is cause for TFI failure.

So I wanted to (1), check that my TFI module is still good, and (2), ensure all of my new connections are solid.

Passed on both counts and also served as another indicator that the coil is bad.

Prior coil testing involved primary and secondary resistance. Overkill, maybe, or possibly showing off newly acquired skills. :nabble_anim_jump:

Steve

Steve, is Gary that much of a bad influence? He certainly likes to complicate things just like my former department manager, his initials are CES and several of us decided it stood for Complicate Everything Snyder.