Bullnose Forums

Air cleaner hot air hook up

BARRYS83F100

this is what is confusing it shows 1 sensor in bottom center of air cleaner and 1 on side in diagram shown now my orig oem 1983 air cleaner does not have one in bottom center both are on the side I think one os white [ TVS } and the other green ?

On my original 1984 air cleaner housing, the thermostatic valve was in the air cleaner cover. On the Mustang air cleaner is in the base of the housing (less space under the hood, right?).

Then there are two plastic ones in the side of the air cleaner...one white, one green...both my 1984 truck air cleaner had these, and my 1984 Mustang 5.0L had them too.

If I recall correctly, the green one is the CWM (Cold weather modulator) that operates the valves in the snorkels, and the white ones operated something else all together not related to the snorkels at all (I removed the white one, and left the green one intact).

My 302 is 100% emissions delete, so I don't think there was anything to connect the white valve to.

If I am understanding correctly, the one you don't want to use, the one on the bottom of your air cleaner, the thermostatic valve{TV}, is the one you have to use if the system is going to work. That is where the systems thermostat is. The other one, the CWM, helps the system operate more smoothly.

Rembrant

So you are saying I can run snorkles off " GREEN" valve in side of air cleaner ? if that is correct how do you test it to see if it works ? mine seems to pass vacuum all the time which would keep snorkles closed

Well, what I'm saying is that is the way Ford did it. Vacuum goes through the thermostatic valve, and then through the cold weather modulator. That's how I have mine plumbed in currently. This picture below is a little grainy, but you'll get the idea...

cwm.jpg.5f3ad3be349321dffd3fcf814ac3d952.jpg

PS: On the Green CWM, I had the notes saved below...

Green CWM Cold Weather Modulator

Opens at 76 degrees F and closes at 50F.

I studied all of this stuff a couple years ago, and now I can't remember any of it...lol.

Rembrant

So you are saying I can run snorkles off " GREEN" valve in side of air cleaner ? if that is correct how do you test it to see if it works ? mine seems to pass vacuum all the time which would keep snorkles closed

Well, what I'm saying is that is the way Ford did it. Vacuum goes through the thermostatic valve, and then through the cold weather modulator. That's how I have mine plumbed in currently. This picture below is a little grainy, but you'll get the idea...

I studied all of this stuff a couple years ago, and now I can't remember any of it...lol.

When this was seen, I thought of this thread. It shows the actual sensors [i think]:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-1985-Ford-Mustang-Capri-LTD-5-0-EFI-HO-Dual-Snorkel-Air-Cleaner/233712903270?hash=item366a5fe466:g:yt0AAOSw91pfNhMB

Rembrant

Ok I did some more research and if my thinking is correct ? I can run manifold vacuum to one side of D7FZ-9E607- A { motorcraft CX109 ] Brown thermostatic valve & tee other end off to both snorkles it would open snorkles to outside unheated air at any temp above 75deg inside air cleaner is this correct ? as I only want to use 1 "switch " let me know before I purchase NOS switch

Thanks,

Barry

Ok I did some more research and if my thinking is correct ? I can run manifold vacuum to one side of D7FZ-9E607- A { motorcraft CX109 ] Brown thermostatic valve & tee other end off to both snorkles it would open snorkles to outside unheated air at any temp above 75deg inside air cleaner is this correct ? as I only want to use 1 "switch " let me know before I purchase NOS switch

Thanks,

Barry

Yes, I think that will work.