Bullnose Forums

Air cleaner hot air hook up

BARRYS83F100

Members I am getting ready to install new engine in my 1983 F100 5.0 H.O. I am using a dual snorkle air cleaner from 5.0 H.O. Mustang , I want the hot air to work and reviewed diagram & I would like to simplfy the operation it shows 2 vac switches but I would like to use one to make simple. , now I know they had lean calibration from factory so they had to be more careful on operation , I do not need this I want it to use hot air only when cold and open A.S.A.P. to get cold air to it, now before you condem me for this keep in mind I run it now with open element air cleaner and very little choke and I mean very little and get along fine what sensor [ Part # ] will get me this ? I prefer not to use the silver dollar size on in bottom of air cleaner just one on side.

Thanks,

Barry

Barry - I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying and asking. But let me take a stab at an answer.

One snorkel is plenty enough for hot air as you shouldn't be using lots of throttle or air on a cold engine. So my plan is to seal the hot air opening on the driver's side snorkel and not have a flapper valve nor vacuum motor there. But that will require modifying the snorkel to cleanly close the vacuum motor's hole off, so I might put a dummy vacuum motor there.

As for the thermal sensor, aka "thermostat", you can find the part numbers here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners.

Also, it looks to me like turning the cold air ducting upside down allows it to almost fit on the other side. On Big Blue the factory ducting is on the passenger's side so I'll turn the piece that goes to the radiator support upside down. But it doesn't quite work so I think I'm going to have to cut that piece in two and glue it back together.

Hope that answers some of the questions.

Barry - I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying and asking. But let me take a stab at an answer.

One snorkel is plenty enough for hot air as you shouldn't be using lots of throttle or air on a cold engine. So my plan is to seal the hot air opening on the driver's side snorkel and not have a flapper valve nor vacuum motor there. But that will require modifying the snorkel to cleanly close the vacuum motor's hole off, so I might put a dummy vacuum motor there.

As for the thermal sensor, aka "thermostat", you can find the part numbers here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Air Cleaners.

Also, it looks to me like turning the cold air ducting upside down allows it to almost fit on the other side. On Big Blue the factory ducting is on the passenger's side so I'll turn the piece that goes to the radiator support upside down. But it doesn't quite work so I think I'm going to have to cut that piece in two and glue it back together.

Hope that answers some of the questions.

yes Gary I understand, I need 2 snorkles as I will be at about 285 HP I want the hot air if is super cold out side but do not need it as precise as factory had it [ 2 valves ] I would like to clean it up and use 1 valve on side of air cleaner as opposed to 2 see ex below:

factory 5.0 air cleaner single snorkle & 2 valves on side none in bottom or center

5.0 H.O. air cleaner Dual snorkle & 2 valves 1 on side & 1 in bottom / center

I would like 1 Valve on side to only close snorkle on cold day and open as quick as possible.

yes Gary I understand, I need 2 snorkles as I will be at about 285 HP I want the hot air if is super cold out side but do not need it as precise as factory had it [ 2 valves ] I would like to clean it up and use 1 valve on side of air cleaner as opposed to 2 see ex below:

factory 5.0 air cleaner single snorkle & 2 valves on side none in bottom or center

5.0 H.O. air cleaner Dual snorkle & 2 valves 1 on side & 1 in bottom / center

I would like 1 Valve on side to only close snorkle on cold day and open as quick as possible.

Is there a question in there? I haven't figured out if I answered your question(s) or if there's more to answer. :nabble_anim_confused:

Is there a question in there? I haven't figured out if I answered your question(s) or if there's more to answer. :nabble_anim_confused:

I have a Mustang 5.0L dual snorkel air cleaner on my 302, and I know what he is asking, but I can't remember the answer...lol. I did read up on all of this stuff, but I cannot remember the logic of how it functions.

The vacuum must pass through two valves to get to the vacuum motors that open the air ducts. One is the thermostatic valve in the base of the air cleaner, and the other is the plastic one on the side of the air cleaner...I think mine is green, but they come in other colors. He wants to simplify the system so it is not modulated so much as just strictly open or closed...by just running one simple control (instead of two).

At least that is how I understand it...

I forget how they work though...

I know one is a thermostatic valve...but isn't the other one like a check valve that keeps the air duct valves open when the vacuum drops during WOT (or something like that)....lol.

I have a Mustang 5.0L dual snorkel air cleaner on my 302, and I know what he is asking, but I can't remember the answer...lol. I did read up on all of this stuff, but I cannot remember the logic of how it functions.

The vacuum must pass through two valves to get to the vacuum motors that open the air ducts. One is the thermostatic valve in the base of the air cleaner, and the other is the plastic one on the side of the air cleaner...I think mine is green, but they come in other colors. He wants to simplify the system so it is not modulated so much as just strictly open or closed...by just running one simple control (instead of two).

At least that is how I understand it...

I forget how they work though...

I know one is a thermostatic valve...but isn't the other one like a check valve that keeps the air duct valves open when the vacuum drops during WOT (or something like that)....lol.

Bingo that is what I am asking

Thanks

Rembrant

So you are asking if the Cold Weather Modulator can be eliminated. The answer is yes. Go back to the link above and read the Note on Page 66, and the "check valve" of which they speak is the CWM. Many of the air cleaners didn't have them.

this is what is confusing it shows 1 sensor in bottom center of air cleaner and 1 on side in diagram shown now my orig oem 1983 air cleaner does not have one in bottom center both are on the side I think one os white [ TVS } and the other green ?

this is what is confusing it shows 1 sensor in bottom center of air cleaner and 1 on side in diagram shown now my orig oem 1983 air cleaner does not have one in bottom center both are on the side I think one os white [ TVS } and the other green ?

On my original 1984 air cleaner housing, the thermostatic valve was in the air cleaner cover. On the Mustang air cleaner is in the base of the housing (less space under the hood, right?).

Then there are two plastic ones in the side of the air cleaner...one white, one green...both my 1984 truck air cleaner had these, and my 1984 Mustang 5.0L had them too.

If I recall correctly, the green one is the CWM (Cold weather modulator) that operates the valves in the snorkels, and the white ones operated something else all together not related to the snorkels at all (I removed the white one, and left the green one intact).

My 302 is 100% emissions delete, so I don't think there was anything to connect the white valve to.

On my original 1984 air cleaner housing, the thermostatic valve was in the air cleaner cover. On the Mustang air cleaner is in the base of the housing (less space under the hood, right?).

Then there are two plastic ones in the side of the air cleaner...one white, one green...both my 1984 truck air cleaner had these, and my 1984 Mustang 5.0L had them too.

If I recall correctly, the green one is the CWM (Cold weather modulator) that operates the valves in the snorkels, and the white ones operated something else all together not related to the snorkels at all (I removed the white one, and left the green one intact).

My 302 is 100% emissions delete, so I don't think there was anything to connect the white valve to.

Rembrant

So you are saying I can run snorkles off " GREEN" valve in side of air cleaner ? if that is correct how do you test it to see if it works ? mine seems to pass vacuum all the time which would keep snorkles closed