Bullnose Forums

Brutus's new steering wheel

86 12 Brutus

Couldnt pass this up. Blew a wad of cash on it. Have been looking for quite some time, as you know Brutus's steering wheel is bent and the colun needs to be rebuilt. Brutus had a leather wrapped steering wheel when new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164376510082

We are still putting the 88 colunn in, but with the correct wheel. We decided to send Brutu's original column out to be rebuilt. or if i can find another column.

the column on the 88, the shifter, when you pull it back, it isnt very " springy " if anybody has any clue what this could be, it would save me a ton of money

There is supposed to be a spring in the shifter collar that pushes the lever forward, it can be a royal pain to get it in, hold the lever in place and insert the pin. Good possibility it is missing either because it popped out and departed into the same black hole the 10mm sockets go to or it just wasn't put back.

There is supposed to be a spring in the shifter collar that pushes the lever forward, it can be a royal pain to get it in, hold the lever in place and insert the pin. Good possibility it is missing either because it popped out and departed into the same black hole the 10mm sockets go to or it just wasn't put back.

it is in there, its just very very loose. I dont think i'm going to mess with changing out the steering column's. I took a real good look at the original column and the only thing that is really wrong with it is the tilt, you can kind of shake the steering wheel up and down a little bit. I'm not sure if there is a fix for it or not, but it's been like that ever since i met Brutus 25 years ago and Nick told me it has been doing that ever since he bent the steering wheel in 89.

it is in there, its just very very loose. I dont think i'm going to mess with changing out the steering column's. I took a real good look at the original column and the only thing that is really wrong with it is the tilt, you can kind of shake the steering wheel up and down a little bit. I'm not sure if there is a fix for it or not, but it's been like that ever since i met Brutus 25 years ago and Nick told me it has been doing that ever since he bent the steering wheel in 89.

He may have bent the column tube where the tilt mechanism attaches, or the internal bolts may be loose. The Saginaw columns GM, older Fords and Chryslers use are bad about that.

He may have bent the column tube where the tilt mechanism attaches, or the internal bolts may be loose. The Saginaw columns GM, older Fords and Chryslers use are bad about that.

I've seen that before too. I'm not sure, but i dont think the column is bent, the steering wheel is definately bent. I'm going to do a short video of what it is doing. Maybe you may know of a trick, but like i said, its been this way since 1989 and hasn't gotten any worse, but nonetheless, i'd like ot fix it if i can

I've seen that before too. I'm not sure, but i dont think the column is bent, the steering wheel is definately bent. I'm going to do a short video of what it is doing. Maybe you may know of a trick, but like i said, its been this way since 1989 and hasn't gotten any worse, but nonetheless, i'd like ot fix it if i can

Here is a video of what it's doing. like i said, its been doing this since like 1989 so i really have no clue, but if you can give any advice, it would be appreciated

https://youtu.be/cYSpS-a2wlA