Bullnose Forums

6" Rough Country Lift 1982 Flareside

Ray Cecil

So I decided to have a stab at aligning it myself.

But I needed a flat surface. So, I put my 4 post lift back together. I got out my 4' level, and leveled it.

I got the truck up there, did some measuring, did some math, and set my eccentric bushings.

Then set my toe a few more times after driving it around the yard, flexing and trying to get things settled/wore into their new happy spots.

Results are pretty good. I can now drive it. Still wanders just a tad bit when hitting a bump. So it aint perfect, but I now feel confident driving to a pro.

Good job, Ray! :nabble_anim_claps:

Good job, Ray! :nabble_anim_claps:

Ok, I drove it around awhile. The springs or bushings or something have settled a little. I now have a noticeable negative camber.

From what I understand, and looking at Garys alignment photos, he has .3deg positive on the drivers, and -.1deg on the passenger. But that is a solid front axle.

Just eyeballing mine, I am probably in the neighborhood of -2deg camber.

The thing I really dont understand is the +3deg positive caster on Garys readout. I thought -1 to -2 deg caster was for a more desirable stability. Maybe I am wrong and need to visualize this better somehow.

Ok, I drove it around awhile. The springs or bushings or something have settled a little. I now have a noticeable negative camber.

From what I understand, and looking at Garys alignment photos, he has .3deg positive on the drivers, and -.1deg on the passenger. But that is a solid front axle.

The thing I really dont understand is the +3deg positive caster on Garys readout. I thought -1 to -2 deg caster was for a more desirable stability. Maybe I am wrong and need to visualize this better somehow.

Yes, the suspension will definitely settle.

As I mentioned you want neutral camber and toe.

By the book the caster should be positive, but I wouldn't be concerned with that, we're not driving high performance road cars...

Anyway, you're still planning on taking it to a shop right? So they'll either set it for you or at least give you the numbers that you need. They should really do it, maybe Gary's was free of charge?

Looking good Ray. Looks like a lot of work too.

I'm going to have to bring you up here to Canada sometime as a rep for KY. The gal on the local news keeps pronouncing Louisville like "Lewis-Ville" lol.

Yeah, its Lou-uh-vull. One day id like to visit.

So, I messed with alignment last night and got is closer. Added caster, and aimed for as close to zero deg camber as possible. Drives much better now. Still not perfect.

I noticed after driving the truck to work it looks like its settled more. Camber was at or close to zero last night after adjusting and taking it for a spin. Now its just barely visible with neg camber.

Toe is close. But I will have to adjust it everytime I make caster/camber changes.

Driveline vibrates over 55mph. Maybe time for a double cardan joint at the tcase.

So, I messed with alignment last night and got is closer. Added caster, and aimed for as close to zero deg camber as possible. Drives much better now. Still not perfect.

I noticed after driving the truck to work it looks like its settled more. Camber was at or close to zero last night after adjusting and taking it for a spin. Now its just barely visible with neg camber.

Toe is close. But I will have to adjust it everytime I make caster/camber changes.

Driveline vibrates over 55mph. Maybe time for a double cardan joint at the tcase.

Yep, I think any time you change camber or caster the toe changes. Steve had to reset the toe when I changed both camber and caster.

As for the driveline, you should be able to swap out the yoke to the one that takes the double-cardan. I can look up where I got my double-cardan yoke if you'd like.

My truck sat in storage for 3 years with the new coils on without the geometry changing one bit. Now I've driven it a handful of times and the difference is significant! I think it settles more every time I pull it out of the garage! I'm sure it will be 'settled' eventually, hopefully before it starts sagging from wear/age!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Ideally before I take it to the shop too. Have you found a shop for yours?

Yep, I think any time you change camber or caster the toe changes. Steve had to reset the toe when I changed both camber and caster.

As for the driveline, you should be able to swap out the yoke to the one that takes the double-cardan. I can look up where I got my double-cardan yoke if you'd like.

Gary, I can find one. I had one on the bronco, but gave it away.

Rob, just drove the truck again in a Parade, and when I got home I could tell it settled a smidge. It drove pretty well, still need to get the toe just right. No death wobble.

My truck sat in storage for 3 years with the new coils on without the geometry changing one bit. Now I've driven it a handful of times and the difference is significant! I think it settles more every time I pull it out of the garage! I'm sure it will be 'settled' eventually, hopefully before it starts sagging from wear/age!:nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Ideally before I take it to the shop too. Have you found a shop for yours?

Oh, Rob, no I havent found a shop. Ive been tinkering with it myself.