Bullnose Forums

6" Rough Country Lift 1982 Flareside

Ray Cecil

You might consider, while peeling the onion, replacing the eccentrics. I like the ones that give full adjustment, but make sure you put them in with anti-seize so the shop can adjust them when the time comes.

Gary, yes, I have new moog fully adjustable eccentrics.

This is the first time I have taken apart a ford TTB front end. I really like it. The design makes sense to me. Its build tough. And I really like the way it looks, especially in pictures of truck getting airborne!!!

Alright, well I had my 40 hrs in at the office by wednesday night. I had a half day off yesterday, and all day today. Just had the kids, wife and my mother out at the Parklands. Getting back at this project now.

3 questions I have.

1. Is the diff sealed with just rtv, black?

2. Hypoid Gear oil in the diff, if I remember correctly?

3. With the 6" lift, I dont think the eccentric setting in the chart will be accurate, the radius arm brackets only drop 5". So...I need a method to measure caster and camber to get it close. Any suggestions? Im not working on a flat surface.

You might consider, while peeling the onion, replacing the eccentrics. I like the ones that give full adjustment, but make sure you put them in with anti-seize so the shop can adjust them when the time comes.

Gary, yes, I have new moog fully adjustable eccentrics.

This is the first time I have taken apart a ford TTB front end. I really like it. The design makes sense to me. Its build tough. And I really like the way it looks, especially in pictures of truck getting airborne!!!

Alright, well I had my 40 hrs in at the office by wednesday night. I had a half day off yesterday, and all day today. Just had the kids, wife and my mother out at the Parklands. Getting back at this project now.

3 questions I have.

1. Is the diff sealed with just rtv, black?

2. Hypoid Gear oil in the diff, if I remember correctly?

3. With the 6" lift, I dont think the eccentric setting in the chart will be accurate, the radius arm brackets only drop 5". So...I need a method to measure caster and camber to get it close. Any suggestions? Im not working on a flat surface.

I used grey on the diff, I think it said 'gear oil'... And yes hypoid gear oil, I just went with regular 80W90.

The chart is to guide your offset, not for a setting, regardless of the lift. There are do-it-yourself kits, but they cost at least as much as taking it to a shop. If you just want a quick setup to get to the shop, just place it in the neutral setting(center of the chart). Once you have the camber and caster measurements you use the chart to offset back to where you want it.

The main thing that works in your favor I think is the drop brackets on the axle pivots. That's what causes the extreme camber with a TTB lift. The radius arm brackets will probably effect caster, but you shouldn't be that far off from before the lift. I'd be surprised if it's as extreme as mine was, considering I have no drop brackets.

I used grey on the diff, I think it said 'gear oil'... And yes hypoid gear oil, I just went with regular 80W90.

The chart is to guide your offset, not for a setting, regardless of the lift. There are do-it-yourself kits, but they cost at least as much as taking it to a shop. If you just want a quick setup to get to the shop, just place it in the neutral setting(center of the chart). Once you have the camber and caster measurements you use the chart to offset back to where you want it.

The main thing that works in your favor I think is the drop brackets on the axle pivots. That's what causes the extreme camber with a TTB lift. The radius arm brackets will probably effect caster, but you shouldn't be that far off from before the lift. I'd be surprised if it's as extreme as mine was, considering I have no drop brackets.

20200919_170545.jpg.b43b195f377a233ffa97a409ec8b261d.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n75070/20200919_170545.jpg

JACKED UP!

Yes Sir! I think the 32s are just a hair small. 33 or 34 is sort of pushing the gearing and drivetrain, so I will runn them awhile. Going to get it aligned asap. I set eccentrics to neutral position and left them popped up above the tabs so the alignment shop can make their corrections. I know toe will change once caster and chamber corrections are made, but I got it close enough to drive around the yard.