Bullnose Forums

6" Rough Country Lift 1982 Flareside

Ray Cecil

Going Up!

Add a leaf and block in rear. Radius arms and axle pivot brackets plus springs in front.

Taking the opportunity to rebuild some stuff in the front end while I am there.

Sorry Gary, I wont be polishing my nuts on this job, rusty nuts going back in. No time for a concours restoration job!

20200905_114821.jpg.d938baa868a2716174d3e895f4e01533.jpg

20200905_114808.jpg.c40a93da4f410a5f3a0a2f2a2758feea.jpg

Yep, they are. But what gears are you turning? If you go with 35's you'll need fairly low gears. With 3.55's you'll be turning about 1600 R's at 65 MPH. And I'd think that's about as low as you want to go. (But what do I know 'bout 300's?)

Factory 3.55s in this truck. It does just fine with the 32s. I cant imagine 33s or 34s being too bad. Not ideal, but I am not running races. Im just cruising around.

Factory 3.55s in this truck. It does just fine with the 32s. I cant imagine 33s or 34s being too bad. Not ideal, but I am not running races. Im just cruising around.

I'm running 4.88's on 35's in my Ranger with a 3.0 V6 that makes similar HP numbers to the 300. The gears help for sure, but I still get eaten off the line by just about everything else out there. But she looks good going down the road sooo :nabble_smiley_whistling:.

Glad to see the truck is finally gaining altitude Ray!

I'm running 4.88's on 35's in my Ranger with a 3.0 V6 that makes similar HP numbers to the 300. The gears help for sure, but I still get eaten off the line by just about everything else out there. But she looks good going down the road sooo :nabble_smiley_whistling:.

Glad to see the truck is finally gaining altitude Ray!

Yeah, I almost sold it. A guy came over and took it for a spin, by the time he got back I had convi ced myself if he didnt want it I was going to lift it and have more fun.

Yeah, I almost sold it. A guy came over and took it for a spin, by the time he got back I had convi ced myself if he didnt want it I was going to lift it and have more fun.

Well, the rear lift went well. The front is taking more time. Lots of rusty nuts and bolts. Tie rod ends are shot. Ball joints are tight. Needs rotors and pads.

I dont have the tool I need to get the last retaining nut off the front axles, inside the hubs. So, going to track one down.

Need to order longer brake hoses

Well, the rear lift went well. The front is taking more time. Lots of rusty nuts and bolts. Tie rod ends are shot. Ball joints are tight. Needs rotors and pads.

I dont have the tool I need to get the last retaining nut off the front axles, inside the hubs. So, going to track one down.

Need to order longer brake hoses

You are on a slippery slope. One thing leads to another and you'll have a "transformed" vehicle. :nabble_smiley_evil:

You are on a slippery slope. One thing leads to another and you'll have a "transformed" vehicle. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Ha, yeah Gary. I guess so. At a stopping point now. Rockauto has a good selection of axle pivot and radius arm bushings, and at a bargain price vs local parts stores. Also had to order inner and outter tie rods.

I got the rivets out of the passenger radius arm pivot bracket, and installed the new lift bracket. Looks good. My air hammer isnt the biggest, but a grinder and the air hammer did the job getting those rivets out.

I just remembered, I need to find that axle nut tool, for the inner hub nut.

Ha, yeah Gary. I guess so. At a stopping point now. Rockauto has a good selection of axle pivot and radius arm bushings, and at a bargain price vs local parts stores. Also had to order inner and outter tie rods.

I got the rivets out of the passenger radius arm pivot bracket, and installed the new lift bracket. Looks good. My air hammer isnt the biggest, but a grinder and the air hammer did the job getting those rivets out.

I just remembered, I need to find that axle nut tool, for the inner hub nut.

ive spent a little time combing through the documentation section.

I have a question about the new eccentric bushings. How difficult are they to install? Do I need to pull the axles and remove the entire spindle/hub assembly? Or do I just remove the nut on top of the upper ball joint and can gain access to the eccentric bushing?

I have the entire front axle assembly on the ground under the truck. I need to replace the eccentrics, and pivot bushings. I have a press, but no way to get the entire axle assembly in a position to press out the pivot bushings. Any suggestions on the pivot bushing removal and install?