Bullnose Forums

Power but no cranking

Steve, I seem to recall that is an AOD, is the back up lamp/neutral safety wiring plugged in, it may have two connections, one on the transmission and one possibly near the transmission crossmember to frame bolts on the driver's side.

Bill - I'll look for those connections. They don't sound familiar.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, not yet. That's to find bad connections. You probably have a disconnection or maybe you don't the tranny truly in Park or Neutral.

I looked for connections. I found the following as shown in the two photos:

unnamed-2.thumb.jpg.41fb1dbeda88a8088c12304b76335485.jpg

unnamed-3.thumb.jpg.3cc9db2a6d5e9204ec5b2252d8932c25.jpg

There is also a connection that comes from those shown in the photos and runs along the frame parallel with the gear shift mechanism on the tranny, and is connected to a wire that runs to the gear shift mechanism.

All are connected. The vehicle is in park. I shifted around between gears from park to lower 1 gear and back. Still no cranking.

I looked for connections. I found the following as shown in the two photos:

There is also a connection that comes from those shown in the photos and runs along the frame parallel with the gear shift mechanism on the tranny, and is connected to a wire that runs to the gear shift mechanism.

All are connected. The vehicle is in park. I shifted around between gears from park to lower 1 gear and back. Still no cranking.

Did you have the key in Start while you shifted between gears? (Be very careful there.) If so, then even if the registration is off between the shift lever and the transmission itself you should have at least passed through Neutral and it should have cranked.

Now you need to do that testing I was talking about. I'd start with the R/LB wire at the transmission. Disconnect the wiring from the transmission and put the red wire of your meter to one of the pins and the black wire on a good ground. Put the meter on the 20 volt scale and turn the key to Start. You should see 12v, but if not you may have gotten the wrong pin, so use the other pin in that connector and you should see power.

If you don't see power/12v on either pin when in Start then the problem is between there and the ignition switch. If you do see power/12v on a pin then the problem may be downstream from there. But it may also be in the transmission switch. So jumper between the two pins and see if it will crank - but watch what gear you are in as there's now no neutral safety switch.

Did you have the key in Start while you shifted between gears? (Be very careful there.) If so, then even if the registration is off between the shift lever and the transmission itself you should have at least passed through Neutral and it should have cranked.

Now you need to do that testing I was talking about. I'd start with the R/LB wire at the transmission. Disconnect the wiring from the transmission and put the red wire of your meter to one of the pins and the black wire on a good ground. Put the meter on the 20 volt scale and turn the key to Start. You should see 12v, but if not you may have gotten the wrong pin, so use the other pin in that connector and you should see power.

If you don't see power/12v on either pin when in Start then the problem is between there and the ignition switch. If you do see power/12v on a pin then the problem may be downstream from there. But it may also be in the transmission switch. So jumper between the two pins and see if it will crank - but watch what gear you are in as there's now no neutral safety switch.

Will do, Gary. Unfortunately, we're getting snow today and tomorrow and it's getting too wet and cold to do that now. But I will do what you suggest as soon as it's a little drier and warmer, hopefully in a few days.

Thanks!!

Steve

Will do, Gary. Unfortunately, we're getting snow today and tomorrow and it's getting too wet and cold to do that now. But I will do what you suggest as soon as it's a little drier and warmer, hopefully in a few days.

Thanks!!

Steve

Hope you don't get too much snow. We need the moisture, but it seems to be going well north of us and it'll be 56F this afternoon with a bit of sun. So I hope to get my winch wiring done.

Anyway, take care. And don't worry, I'm sure it is a simple problem. You just have to track it down.

Hope you don't get too much snow. We need the moisture, but it seems to be going well north of us and it'll be 56F this afternoon with a bit of sun. So I hope to get my winch wiring done.

Anyway, take care. And don't worry, I'm sure it is a simple problem. You just have to track it down.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure it'll get worked out.

What I'd give for 56F today...

Steve

One other question regarding the no crank issue.

I modified the harness slightly by extending the wires to the TFI module connector so as to reach the module which I have mounted remotely in a heat sink. Although I took great care in soldering connections and ensuring I reconnected the correct wires correctly, it is possible I did not. If wires were connected incorrectly, or came disconnected, that could cause my no cranking issues, couldn't it?

One other question regarding the no crank issue.

I modified the harness slightly by extending the wires to the TFI module connector so as to reach the module which I have mounted remotely in a heat sink. Although I took great care in soldering connections and ensuring I reconnected the correct wires correctly, it is possible I did not. If wires were connected incorrectly, or came disconnected, that could cause my no cranking issues, couldn't it?

Yes, it is possible. On Page 29 you can see that the R/LB wire goes to the TFI module. So if it were connected to a ground or some huge load that the ignition switch can't support then that could cause it.

Yes, it is possible. On Page 29 you can see that the R/LB wire goes to the TFI module. So if it were connected to a ground or some huge load that the ignition switch can't support then that could cause it.

Thanks! I saw the link to the TFI module in my trouble shooting manual on the pages your recommended. I'll check those connections as well once the weather breaks.

Hi Gary -

So we have about 10 inches of very wet snow on the ground. If it had been colder, we'd have had much more than that since it snowed continuously for about 36 hours.

Anyway, I'm mostly dug out and I tested the plug nearest the transmission (located along the rail). There is exactly 12v coming from it. So that tells me all connections (at least to this point) are good. However, I did not remove the wires from the tranny to test them and I had forgotten about jumping the two pins to see if it cranks.

When I disconnect the wires from the tranny, are there only two pins? If there are more, what two pins are you referring to?

Steve