Bullnose Forums

Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

JimJam300

Few days late but want to add if anyone reads this you have to make sure the joints are phased the same.

If you look at a shaft the Ujoints fit the shaft on the same side or in a line from 1 end to the other.

Dave ----

Yessir, plan was to put on the slip yoke while aligning the stub shaft before welding to get it right.

I looked into it a bit more, and it seems pretty straightforward. Guys are building driveshafts using a lathe and a dial gauge to check runout, however I might be able to get away with using the pipe threading machine at work if I can get it in there straight.

Yessir, plan was to put on the slip yoke while aligning the stub shaft before welding to get it right.

I looked into it a bit more, and it seems pretty straightforward. Guys are building driveshafts using a lathe and a dial gauge to check runout, however I might be able to get away with using the pipe threading machine at work if I can get it in there straight.

It would take a big, long lathe! Mine is fair sized but I don’t think it would be big enough.

Anyway, good luck. :nabble_smiley_good:

• 2 weeks later...

It would take a big, long lathe! Mine is fair sized but I don’t think it would be big enough.

Anyway, good luck. :nabble_smiley_good:

Finances have not recovered enuff to do the driveshafts just yet, but the other big things I needed to do was paint the firewall and clean up the transfer case. Just used degreaser, pressure washer, and steel wool to clean up the case. Hooked it up the transmission and discovered the threads holding the 4x4 adapter to the transmission are stripped. So I gotta yank the transmission, open it up (and hopefully not disassemble), and tap for 1/2" bolts. Ugh.

Firewall paint came out nice. Scuffed and degreased original paint, primer was Eastwood epoxy rattle cans, PPG single stage out of an airless sprayer on top. I also hit the clean air intake with some rattlecan black to cover the rust before all this. Now I'm freed up to start putting back the dash and exhaust heat shields.

19.jpg.ed5f8c7a72f835d4113e3c784ffc0a65.jpg

20.jpg.0fb38649a2b3442f3426f9b78bd4b04e.jpg

21.jpg.40e6ef45cdccffb095d5724a20d1f2e3.jpg

22.jpg.da0ff59fa643f7366a67e9cd6a4bf935.jpg

Finances have not recovered enuff to do the driveshafts just yet, but the other big things I needed to do was paint the firewall and clean up the transfer case. Just used degreaser, pressure washer, and steel wool to clean up the case. Hooked it up the transmission and discovered the threads holding the 4x4 adapter to the transmission are stripped. So I gotta yank the transmission, open it up (and hopefully not disassemble), and tap for 1/2" bolts. Ugh.

Firewall paint came out nice. Scuffed and degreased original paint, primer was Eastwood epoxy rattle cans, PPG single stage out of an airless sprayer on top. I also hit the clean air intake with some rattlecan black to cover the rust before all this. Now I'm freed up to start putting back the dash and exhaust heat shields.

Looking nice! That's going to come out good. :nabble_smiley_good:

Wow!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Wow!

:nabble_anim_claps:

Tore off the masking tape and let it sit over the weekend while I went camping.

4.jpg.ab10d028b06c279be756fffe777527e7.jpg

Homemade firewall insulation lines up fairly well. Some holes are a little too large, but it's not the end of the world. I'll have a verdict on fitment once I start bolting stuff to the sheet metal.

5.jpg.4ed6134cb52fb6a9e45cc75a6845403a.jpg

Speaking of camping, as of 2 days ago in the Sierras there was plenty of snow and lakes still thawing above 8000 feet. It ruined my original plans of where I wanted to camp, but the wife and I made the best of it and decided to do some exploring. The beater Dodge did alright but stock ground clearance and the very mild Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires could not handle the snow without a running start. Plow trucks weren't quite put away yet. Now it's back to the grind and there's plenty to do on the Bronco.

1.jpg.a54fae73d4799ab115855266d0e05d39.jpg

2.jpg.6920dfb34a882e625dbb584bd89f4f15.jpg

3.jpg.d8a6e9ecbe07350e74f97e32a902c0ea.jpg

6.jpg.4b54da274ec4504df14be5b2487291ae.jpg

Tore off the masking tape and let it sit over the weekend while I went camping.

Homemade firewall insulation lines up fairly well. Some holes are a little too large, but it's not the end of the world. I'll have a verdict on fitment once I start bolting stuff to the sheet metal.

Speaking of camping, as of 2 days ago in the Sierras there was plenty of snow and lakes still thawing above 8000 feet. It ruined my original plans of where I wanted to camp, but the wife and I made the best of it and decided to do some exploring. The beater Dodge did alright but stock ground clearance and the very mild Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires could not handle the snow without a running start. Plow trucks weren't quite put away yet. Now it's back to the grind and there's plenty to do on the Bronco.

Looking good! And I don't think the oversized holes will make enough difference to worry about.

And the mountains look great! Reminds me of when my son and I took BB to NM. Lots more snow than expected, but we enjoyed it.

Plow trucks weren't quite put away yet.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n137954/1.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n137954/2.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n137954/3.jpg

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n137954/6.jpg

When I think I was considering that I'm living in a cold country...

:nabble_smiley_scared:

When I think I was considering that I'm living in a cold country...

:nabble_smiley_scared:

The amount of snow and it lasting this long is highly irregular. Every lake and reservoir is full after what seemed like an eternal drought. Rivers are rushing. It was warm during the day, as high as 80 degrees Fahrenheit. When I took that picture of the lake with ice still floating in it, I was originally looking for a place to go swimming. I packed swim trunks in my hiking backpack but what I really needed were snowshoes for the trail going up.

Looking good! And I don't think the oversized holes will make enough difference to worry about.

And the mountains look great! Reminds me of when my son and I took BB to NM. Lots more snow than expected, but we enjoyed it.

I've been wanting to do AZ/NM in one fell swoop after falling in love with the desert in Utah during a 2 week trek last year. It's inspiring that you bring your Bullnose truck everywhere. That's my plan when the Bronco is roadworthy, though I'd be hesitant to bring on anything rougher than a dirt road. But that's why I'm not destined for a carb, elevation differences in California alone are too great.