Bullnose Forums

New door weather stripping

Hi all I just installed a new cab weather strip on drivers side this evening. Seems as though even after adjusting the striker to close relatively easy,the door sticks out way too far. So I adjusted it back and it's hard to shut and still sticks out about 1/4" however the hinge area and the top of the door seem flush.

Am I going to have to adjust the door hinges? If so I'm in trouble.

Regards Randy

Randy - Give it a few days. It takes a while for the material to soften up, and heat helps. It is supposed to be up to 95 most of next week, so that should help.

Hi Gary, I was thinking that it might settle in but wasn't sure. I'll give it a week or two.

Thanks

I've been waiting for my new door seals to settle, and it's been over 2 months already. It's pretty frustrating.

Getting ready to do the same on Brutus. Just a note. When Brutus was new, the doors were very hard to close when the windows were up, if you put just a little crack in the window, the doors would close fine. Not sure if that is the problem, but is worth a try. With all new rubber, your cab has become air tight again. give it time and crack the window. We had to do this for years with Brutus until the weatherstrip began to fail. As time went on, they did get a bit easier to close, but you had to really slam it. crack the window just a bit

I installed new door seals a few months ago and the doors were extremely difficult to close afterwards. I didn't adjust anything, I just slammed the doors. If you open one of the windows a little bit the doors will close easier. Now, my driver's door has gotten much better. I wouldn't say that it closes easily, but it did improve greatly since the install of the new seal. My passenger door is still really difficult to close and needs to be slammed, windows open or not. I think the new seals need to have some "miles" put on them...I dunno. Some people say that putting baby powder or something similar on the new seals helps.

Getting ready to do the same on Brutus. Just a note. When Brutus was new, the doors were very hard to close when the windows were up, if you put just a little crack in the window, the doors would close fine. Not sure if that is the problem, but is worth a try. With all new rubber, your cab has become air tight again. give it time and crack the window. We had to do this for years with Brutus until the weatherstrip began to fail. As time went on, they did get a bit easier to close, but you had to really slam it. crack the window just a bit

Ok thanks.

I installed new door seals a few months ago and the doors were extremely difficult to close afterwards. I didn't adjust anything, I just slammed the doors. If you open one of the windows a little bit the doors will close easier. Now, my driver's door has gotten much better. I wouldn't say that it closes easily, but it did improve greatly since the install of the new seal. My passenger door is still really difficult to close and needs to be slammed, windows open or not. I think the new seals need to have some "miles" put on them...I dunno. Some people say that putting baby powder or something similar on the new seals helps.

Baby powder? Is that the new vinegar :nabble_smiley_wink: thanks for responding sir.

Baby powder? Is that the new vinegar :nabble_smiley_wink: thanks for responding sir.

Well, I read some comments from guys that restore cars, and they claimed that the issue is that the rubber is sticky...or "grabby" and doesn't want to "flow"? into the compressed position easily until it breaks in. I guess the powder is supposed to help it flatten out better. I haven't tried it personally, but it was on my to-do list.