Bullnose Forums

I'm grumpy...

U-Haul’s system does not go down to the VIN level, and no one is going to check the rating on the certification label. If the system says the combination won’t work, the clerk won’t rent it to you regardless. In my area you have to acknowledge a disclaimer that you are responsible for the fitness and integrity of an older tow vehicle, but I was never denied a rental based on my truck being a 1968 F250. Since that is the vehicle I had to pick up the trailer with, and the vehicle that they had to inspect the connection with, I never entered inaccurate info on it, and I was never denied a rental based on the age. Granted there are a lot of older trucks in rural Arizona so mine wasn’t terribly out of the ordinary. Did they give you a maximum age the tow vehicle could be?

Now for the vehicle being transported, I did have to fudge a little to get my 4x4 donor home. The U-Haul folks would never see it or verify that it matched what I said I was going to move with it. I realize this could have been a problem in the event of a wreck and that would be on me... but I also know that U-Haul is overly conservative, and as slow and careful as I took it I knew all would be fine. And it was 🙂

Ford F834, I was wrong when I thought it was age related.

I entered a 1986 F350 on the U Hassle (:nabble_smiley_whistling:) website and it will allow rental.

That's why I think they don't have the proper info on the GVWR of some vehicles, the 1986 F250, 8800 GVWR included.

Maybe I'll never have to rent one again, we shall see. Maybe I'll stumble across a trailer someday that I can get!

Ford F834, I was wrong when I thought it was age related.

I entered a 1986 F350 on the U Hassle (:nabble_smiley_whistling:) website and it will allow rental.

That's why I think they don't have the proper info on the GVWR of some vehicles, the 1986 F250, 8800 GVWR included.

Maybe I'll never have to rent one again, we shall see. Maybe I'll stumble across a trailer someday that I can get!

Grumpin, U-Haul seems very, very conservative when it comes to allowable combinations. I believe that some of this is for law suit reasons like Gary said. But I also think they do this to rent trucks. They under rate the tow dollies so much that you can’t pull more than a compact car with one. Step up to an auto transport and the weight of the trailer plus the vehicle being towed exceeds what they say most 3/4 ton trucks can handle... but they will gladly rent you a truck that can. Maybe this is just my cynical outlook but it seems that it’s a catch 22 that prevents you from using your own truck, as most reasonable combinations are rejected in their system. I am all for road safety and using proper equipment, but it is amazing what all is rejected by their system. 😐

Grumpin, U-Haul seems very, very conservative when it comes to allowable combinations. I believe that some of this is for law suit reasons like Gary said. But I also think they do this to rent trucks. They under rate the tow dollies so much that you can’t pull more than a compact car with one. Step up to an auto transport and the weight of the trailer plus the vehicle being towed exceeds what they say most 3/4 ton trucks can handle... but they will gladly rent you a truck that can. Maybe this is just my cynical outlook but it seems that it’s a catch 22 that prevents you from using your own truck, as most reasonable combinations are rejected in their system. I am all for road safety and using proper equipment, but it is amazing what all is rejected by their system. 😐

I'm sure they've been hit with lots of lawsuits. About 10 years ago they wouldn't rent to you if you were towing with an Explorer, and I'm sure that was due to the tire problems. I wonder how many Exploders blew a tire while pulling a trailer? :nabble_smiley_argh:

I'm sure glad I have a trailer of my own. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I'm sure they've been hit with lots of lawsuits. About 10 years ago they wouldn't rent to you if you were towing with an Explorer, and I'm sure that was due to the tire problems. I wonder how many Exploders blew a tire while pulling a trailer? :nabble_smiley_argh:

I'm sure glad I have a trailer of my own. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I agree with you guys. I'm cynical too. And too many lawsuits.

I asked them if they have a truck I can rent if this happens in the future, and of course they do.

It has a 6700 GVWR. https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/

Gary, your set, a trailer when you want, how you want, and maintained the way you like.

Maybe I'll stumble bumble across one some day.

I agree with you guys. I'm cynical too. And too many lawsuits.

I asked them if they have a truck I can rent if this happens in the future, and of course they do.

It has a 6700 GVWR. https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/Pickup-Rental/BP/

Gary, your set, a trailer when you want, how you want, and maintained the way you like.

Maybe I'll stumble bumble across one some day.

It's funny, they object to older Fords, then want to rent you a God's Mechanical Curse.

It's funny, they object to older Fords, then want to rent you a God's Mechanical Curse.

One time, they would not let me pull with my Ranger pickup. Little truck had the same 8.8 diff and 11" disk brakes that a full size truck has, but they would let me pull with a full size Bronco. Ever tried pulling with a Bronco? Deathtrap at best!