Bullnose Forums

Update On Forum Hosting - Progress!

I'm sure many of you have noticed, and been perturbed by, the slow response time on the Nabble server and the "server over capacity" messages we've been getting. I'm really sorry for them, but want you to know that we are working behind the scenes to get them resolved.

As background, we are running on a server provided by Nabble and we don't pay anything. NADA. So we don't really have any right to complain. But Nabble has been moving more forums onto that one server and the response time has been slowly deteriorating.

Given that, work has been going on to get the forum software to run on another server outside of Nabble. And as of yesterday that has been successful. There are still a lot of details to be worked out, but this is really good news.

The plan is to bring that software up on a commercial server that we control and cut over at some point in the not too distant future. I wish I could tell you exactly what that is going to entail, but the fact is that we don't yet know all of the details. However, we will make the transition as seamless as is possible.

I'll provide more updates as the plan unfolds, but rest assured that there is relief on its way. :nabble_smiley_super:

Great news Gary! And as always, thanks for your hard work in keeping this site going and taking care of the details we often are unaware of. :nabble_smiley_good:

Welcome, Scott.

The forum is just two years old but is growing dramatically. As of today we have 792 members. And posts are coming in so rapidly that I can't keep up - and I'm loving it! Plus the size of the backups are growing exponentially, with them being essentially 0 in size two years ago and up to 3.4 Gb today.

Note that those backups include our pictures as well as the posts. So when we move everything goes with us. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Welcome, Scott.

The forum is just two years old but is growing dramatically. As of today we have 792 members. And posts are coming in so rapidly that I can't keep up - and I'm loving it! Plus the size of the backups are growing exponentially, with them being essentially 0 in size two years ago and up to 3.4 Gb today.

Note that those backups include our pictures as well as the posts. So when we move everything goes with us. :nabble_smiley_wink:

That’s great! Thanks Gary!

Thanks, as always, for your work behind the scenes! :nabble_smiley_good:

I like this place much better then Eff Tee Wee or any other corporate owned and controlled entity.

Welcome. I'm glad you like the place. There are really good people over on the other place, but I like the ability to manage things for ourselves. We aren't doing things to make money. In fact, going to another server will actually cost, but needs to be done to ensure we have the response times we need.

Gary, i've gotten the message a few times, but with a refresh it always works for me. Thanks for trying to improve

We really need to go to another server ASAP. Having to refresh, which I also have to do often, is not the way things are supposed to work. It is time to move!