Bullnose Forums

New Member, New Project

Minkheel

Hi all. I just joined and I just acquired a 1984 F150 2wd 6cyl 4 on the floor in Explorer Trim.

It’s rough but runs and drives. I’m looking forward to rehabbing it a bit.

A couple of issues ...

1. the brake pedal makes a wheezing sound when depressed (brake fluid was only slightly low). And ideas?

2. Interior electrical has some issues — especially the dash lighting, warning lights, etc.

If anyone has thoughts I’d appreciate them. And if anyone knows a good vintage f150 mechanic in or around Charlotte, NC I’d love a referral.

Thanks!

10D04529-C8D7-4311-A956-F9E2CB610469.thumb.jpeg.3689e58e0272a95c1b695baa0882a32d.jpeg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Are you in Charlotte? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if it really is Charlotte.

As for the mechanic, is he supposed to be vintage? (Sorry, couldn't help myself. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

On the brakes, it sounds like the brake booster has a leak. There's a test on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then on the Overall tab and the General Brake Service tab. Then scroll down to Page 5.

If the brakes work then it isn't urgent that you get that fixed as I've been around these trucks that have had that wheeze and they worked fine for years. But I'd bet that's the problem.

On the dash lights, are the gauges just very dark? Or are they out? If dim, there are lots of things that can be done to help, but the usual issue is that the blue-green "filters" have gone opaque. They are there to give the lights a blueish tinge, but they get old and won't transmit the amount of light they should. They can be removed and that will add a lot of light.

But, I think that the best approach is to pull the filters and install LED's. I've done a bunch of testing on a thread called Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing. But this post might be the most informative.

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Are you in Charlotte? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we could add you if it really is Charlotte.

As for the mechanic, is he supposed to be vintage? (Sorry, couldn't help myself. :nabble_smiley_evil:)

On the brakes, it sounds like the brake booster has a leak. There's a test on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then on the Overall tab and the General Brake Service tab. Then scroll down to Page 5.

If the brakes work then it isn't urgent that you get that fixed as I've been around these trucks that have had that wheeze and they worked fine for years. But I'd bet that's the problem.

On the dash lights, are the gauges just very dark? Or are they out? If dim, there are lots of things that can be done to help, but the usual issue is that the blue-green "filters" have gone opaque. They are there to give the lights a blueish tinge, but they get old and won't transmit the amount of light they should. They can be removed and that will add a lot of light.

But, I think that the best approach is to pull the filters and install LED's. I've done a bunch of testing on a thread called Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing. But this post might be the most informative.

Awesome. Thanks Gary! And yes, I’m actually in Charlotte (just west of CLT International Airport). So please add me to the map!

Awesome. Thanks Gary! And yes, I’m actually in Charlotte (just west of CLT International Airport). So please add me to the map!

You are now on the map. And, I know that airport rather well, having spent many hours there.

But, I suggest you create a signature to tell us about your truck. You can see directions for how to do that on the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's. The signature helps us help you w/o guessing about what you have. You'd be surprised how many differences there are in the 7 years the Bullnose trucks were produced, so knowing what you have helps us answer the questions much more accurately.