Bullnose Forums

Question for those who have an Effy C intake manifold

By this weekend I should have the intake manifold off and ready to replace with an Effy C. I’m pretty sure I can do this without removing the exhaust manifold, correct? As far as gasket, can I use a gasket maker?

I’m searching everywhere for a video on how to do this and coming up with nothing. In fact, I’m shocked at how little decent video footage there is of procedures. Does anyone know of a good resource for this?

It's an Offy, for Offenhauser...:nabble_smiley_wink: And no, the exhaust manifold will have to be removed. Or at least be loose as the same bolts holds both intake and exhaust on. You have EFI manifolds, right? You should probably document your build in one thread or at least expand your signature.

You could probably support the exhaust manifolds by supporting the exhaust while you remove the intake. I wouldn't use gasket maker. Get a gasket combo, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2185152&cc=1121432&jsn=580 . Using both gaskets levels the difference between the exhaust and intake and enables the washers to be flush on both surfaces.

Clifford Performance has videos on the installation, but it's more involved since there is a bigger difference in thickness of the manifolds which requires bending the washers, but it will give you an idea.

I also have pics on my thread, sorry no video, but the installation is reasonably straightforward.

It's an Offy, for Offenhauser...:nabble_smiley_wink: And no, the exhaust manifold will have to be removed. Or at least be loose as the same bolts holds both intake and exhaust on. You have EFI manifolds, right? You should probably document your build in one thread or at least expand your signature.

You could probably support the exhaust manifolds by supporting the exhaust while you remove the intake. I wouldn't use gasket maker. Get a gasket combo, https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2185152&cc=1121432&jsn=580 . Using both gaskets levels the difference between the exhaust and intake and enables the washers to be flush on both surfaces.

Clifford Performance has videos on the installation, but it's more involved since there is a bigger difference in thickness of the manifolds which requires bending the washers, but it will give you an idea.

I also have pics on my thread, sorry no video, but the installation is reasonably straightforward.

Oh geez... Yeah, I don’t know what I was thinking on the “Effy” part...

I don’t have an EFI exhaust manifold, no. I’m using the stock that was in place for the carb system. Does that make a difference?

The Offenhauser intake will work with either EFI exhaust manifolds or the original log style exhaust manifold.

Oh geez... Yeah, I don’t know what I was thinking on the “Effy” part...

I don’t have an EFI exhaust manifold, no. I’m using the stock that was in place for the carb system. Does that make a difference?

As David says, both are fine. It's probably better actually, for the intake anyway. It will provide heat to the intake which the EFI doesn't. And you can connect the two before installing them together instead of trying to hold three(or two in your case) things and insert bolts at the same time. Not sure of the thickness of the log manifold compared to the EFI. Have you considered changing to EFI manifolds?

As David says, both are fine. It's probably better actually, for the intake anyway. It will provide heat to the intake which the EFI doesn't. And you can connect the two before installing them together instead of trying to hold three(or two in your case) things and insert bolts at the same time. Not sure of the thickness of the log manifold compared to the EFI. Have you considered changing to EFI manifolds?

I did consider the EFI manifold, but though I might upgrade later considering all the other things I’m doing.

The thickness difference is the big question for me. I actually did find a video showing the install, but it was with the EFI manifold. That said, this states the same type of gasket is used for stock set ups with the log manifold. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mah-ms16040x/applications/year/1983/make/ford/model/bronco?prefilter=1

I did consider the EFI manifold, but though I might upgrade later considering all the other things I’m doing.

The thickness difference is the big question for me. I actually did find a video showing the install, but it was with the EFI manifold. That said, this states the same type of gasket is used for stock set ups with the log manifold. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mah-ms16040x/applications/year/1983/make/ford/model/bronco?prefilter=1

Yes, same gasket set regardless of the manifold types. Most people who upgrade the intake change to EFI exhaust, hence the lack of videos for the log manifold, but the Offy intake is designed for the log exhaust.

If you're considering the EFI exhaust manifolds, you should probably do that now. They can be had for cheap. New runs about $150 for the pair or you can get them at a salvage for $50. You would need a Y-pipe for around $80 too. It all depends what your objectives are I guess. Increasing the intake capacity and adding EFI while leaving the exhaust restricted doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, but if performance isn't a priority and you only want a reliable daily/weekend driver then it makes no difference I guess. To be fair, few people would get a 300 for performance, there are exceptions as was seen in your other thread.

Yes, same gasket set regardless of the manifold types. Most people who upgrade the intake change to EFI exhaust, hence the lack of videos for the log manifold, but the Offy intake is designed for the log exhaust.

If you're considering the EFI exhaust manifolds, you should probably do that now. They can be had for cheap. New runs about $150 for the pair or you can get them at a salvage for $50. You would need a Y-pipe for around $80 too. It all depends what your objectives are I guess. Increasing the intake capacity and adding EFI while leaving the exhaust restricted doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, but if performance isn't a priority and you only want a reliable daily/weekend driver then it makes no difference I guess. To be fair, few people would get a 300 for performance, there are exceptions as was seen in your other thread.

Ok, then I’ll grab one of those gaskets. Thanks for walking me through that.

Performance isn’t much of a priority for me as I’m the daily driver type for sure. I’d like the ride to be smooth, quiet and reliable. I’ve been driving that Mercedes 300TD for years now, so I know the on-ramp struggle well. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

To be fair, few people would get a 300 for performance, there are exceptions as was seen in your other thread.

Just poking fun; have you heard of The Frenchtown Flyer? :nabble_smiley_wink:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The+Frenchtown+Flyer+YouTube&docid=608030364000062137&mid=04493C2D15172FB200AA04493C2D15172FB200AA&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Not seen any of the dragster videos. The name is familiar though, a member on another forum?