Bullnose Forums

Fuel problem, where to start

I have an 81 f150 with a 71 Lincoln 460 engine and Holley 4160 carburetor. The old bull was starting and running great until this AM.

When I turn the key the fuel gauge works it's way up until the starter engages. As the starter cranks the gauge goes down and the engine starts to catch but dies out. After the first attempt at starting, it doesn't fire at all and just cranks. After a few tries I give up & I smell gas when I get out of the truck.

Tried again tonight with the same issue occurring. Where do I start to diagnose the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated

I think you have an electrical problem. It could be a bad battery that isn't holding a charge, a bad alternator that isn't charging the battery enough, bad cables that aren't getting the juice to the starter, or something in the system that is draining the battery as the vehicle sits.

Does your truck have gauges or warning lights? If the latter has the battery warning light been on?

Do you have a digital volt meter? If so, check the battery's voltage. A fully charged battery should be around 12.6 - 12.8 volts.

If the battery is charged then you probably have a cable problem. Check the connections of your cables coming from the battery for loose or corroded connections.

I think you have an electrical problem. It could be a bad battery that isn't holding a charge, a bad alternator that isn't charging the battery enough, bad cables that aren't getting the juice to the starter, or something in the system that is draining the battery as the vehicle sits.

Does your truck have gauges or warning lights? If the latter has the battery warning light been on?

Do you have a digital volt meter? If so, check the battery's voltage. A fully charged battery should be around 12.6 - 12.8 volts.

If the battery is charged then you probably have a cable problem. Check the connections of your cables coming from the battery for loose or corroded connections.

Just has the gauges. I will definitely check the battery & cables. I have had a pulley or belt squeal that started recently as well. Wondering if it may be the alternator. Thanks for the info.

Just has the gauges. I will definitely check the battery & cables. I have had a pulley or belt squeal that started recently as well. Wondering if it may be the alternator. Thanks for the info.

Yes, you may have an alternator going out on you, causing the belt squeal. And if the alternator is toast you should seriously consider replacing the regulator. When I bought my new 1G alternator it said "You need to replace the regulator." I didn't, and had to go back to the store as it was also bad.

Yes, you may have an alternator going out on you, causing the belt squeal. And if the alternator is toast you should seriously consider replacing the regulator. When I bought my new 1G alternator it said "You need to replace the regulator." I didn't, and had to go back to the store as it was also bad.
Thanks, I'll check it out. 

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 8:59 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely change it as well if I do the alternator.