Bullnose Forum

Not a fuel issue?

Just a question? Have you put a fuel pressure guage between the fuel pump and the carb? If memory serves, it should be between 5 or 6 lbs of pressure with the engine running.

Another thing you might want to do is to look down the throat of the carb and, by hand, quickly open the throtal linkage and see if there is two sprays of gas coming from the bowl side of the carb. Do it several times. If the spray quits after a couple of pumps then the bowl is empty then the float in the carb or the needle valve may be stuck.

If I understand correctly, it sat for several years with bad gas in it, that being the case, it might be time to rebuild the carb.

Thanks!

I’m definitely getting good pressure in the throat. In fact, I just took a test drive to get her up to temperature. And I’m definitely idling wayyyyy too high. I can hit 25-30mph without stepping on the gas on a flat street. The weird part is that I have the idle (or what I think is the idle adjuster) all the way down. I think with the throttle wide open all the time it’s just sucking in too much oxygen. I’d call it running “rough.”

Ran her a good 10 minutes and opened up the hood after turning the engine off. I had some smoke coming out an open tube. Not sure what it is, but I’m guessing it had something to do with the EGR that was removed by the PO. Video below.

I really think the carb just wasn’t put together correctly. It’s missing spring action for sure. I do want to eventually move to EFI - maybe I should just run with that at this point.

Thanks!

I’m definitely getting good pressure in the throat. In fact, I just took a test drive to get her up to temperature. And I’m definitely idling wayyyyy too high. I can hit 25-30mph without stepping on the gas on a flat street. The weird part is that I have the idle (or what I think is the idle adjuster) all the way down. I think with the throttle wide open all the time it’s just sucking in too much oxygen. I’d call it running “rough.”

Ran her a good 10 minutes and opened up the hood after turning the engine off. I had some smoke coming out an open tube. Not sure what it is, but I’m guessing it had something to do with the EGR that was removed by the PO. Video below.

I really think the carb just wasn’t put together correctly. It’s missing spring action for sure. I do want to eventually move to EFI - maybe I should just run with that at this point.

The 4.9 never came with the VV. You should have the Carter YFA.

If the choke isn't controlled by a spring then remove the black cover and the problem is probably in there.

And if you are idling high with the idle screw backed out then you have a vacuum leak. A hose may be off, the carb may be loose on the manifold, or you may have a cracked line. But a high idle is the result of a vacuum leak.

The 4.9 never came with the VV. You should have the Carter YFA.

If the choke isn't controlled by a spring then remove the black cover and the problem is probably in there.

And if you are idling high with the idle screw backed out then you have a vacuum leak. A hose may be off, the carb may be loose on the manifold, or you may have a cracked line. But a high idle is the result of a vacuum leak.

Maybe it was changed at some point? It’s got this tag. I can’t find that number referenced anywhere.

31700E78-E2F8-48BB-ADE0-EA6047A296AC.jpeg.94e3f66ba63b720ce4d9613074a324eb.jpeg

Maybe it was changed at some point? It’s got this tag. I can’t find that number referenced anywhere.

The carb shown in your pictures and videos is the Carter YFA. There's a pic of the VV below, and it is a very different, and unusual carb. You can see our documentation on the YFA here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

But I'm having trouble reading the tag. It looks like it says E5PE and then there appear to be two or three characters after that, before the 772 on the next line. I find plenty of E5PE carbs, but need the characters after that to nail it down.

s-l300.jpg.dd3612535713f6c62943a518896bd817.jpg

That tube that has the smoke coming out of it is part of the vacume tree, In the video, there seams to be several missing vacume lines. That in it's self will make the idle high. Is there even a vacume hose to the vacume advance on the distrubuter?

The carb shown in your pictures and videos is the Carter YFA. There's a pic of the VV below, and it is a very different, and unusual carb. You can see our documentation on the YFA here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carter-yfa-1bbl.html

But I'm having trouble reading the tag. It looks like it says E5PE and then there appear to be two or three characters after that, before the 772 on the next line. I find plenty of E5PE carbs, but need the characters after that to nail it down.

Gary those last letters are MA

I did figure out it was a carter after digging around the documentation after. Thanks for that suggestion.

As far as the vacuum, I really won’t be able to dig into that until next week (I left for vacay today). I know the PO had the EGR removed. Not sure if that is tied to that or not...

Either way, I think I’m going to go EFI at this point. If I’m going to have to do work on the carb I’d rather just use the time to move to that.