Bullnose Forums

Roof tent mounted

That's cool! I'm not au fait with Tuff-Trek, but I see they are UK based. Which model did you get?

You've mounted it lower than I'm expecting to mount mine. But where you mounted yours would reduce the drag as opposed to my plan of placing it at the level of the cab roof. And, yours will be a lot easier to get into. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's cool! I'm not au fait with Tuff-Trek, but I see they are UK based. Which model did you get?

You've mounted it lower than I'm expecting to mount mine. But where you mounted yours would reduce the drag as opposed to my plan of placing it at the level of the cab roof. And, yours will be a lot easier to get into. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, Tuff Trek are UK based but the same tents are available from other suppliers rebranded. Tuff Trek source these from the US I believe. My tent is the TT-02 1.8m https://tuff-trek.com/product/tuff-trek-tt02-1-8m-soft-top-tent/

The unistrut mounting is temporary as I will at some point fabricate a rack to lift it higher and allow more height in the truck bed.

Alan.

Yes, Tuff Trek are UK based but the same tents are available from other suppliers rebranded. Tuff Trek source these from the US I believe. My tent is the TT-02 1.8m https://tuff-trek.com/product/tuff-trek-tt02-1-8m-soft-top-tent/

The unistrut mounting is temporary as I will at some point fabricate a rack to lift it higher and allow more height in the truck bed.

Alan.

That's a nice tent, but bigger than I plan to go with. I'm shooting for one that sleeps two.

And, the idea of placing it higher to get more access to the bed is exactly my plan. Bullnose trucks are anything but aerodynamic, so I'm not bothered with the idea of the tent being up in the slipstream. But I do want to be able to get to things in the bed easily.

Another thought I've had is figuring out a way to provide power inside the tent. I'm thinking that lighting and being able to keep a phone or tablet charged would sure be nice. I always charge my mobile devices at night, so would want my phone by me. And if we get a rainy day and stay in the tent a while it would be nice to be able to keep them topped up.

But rainy days aren't a problem for you in GB - right? :nabble_smiley_evil:

That's a nice tent, but bigger than I plan to go with. I'm shooting for one that sleeps two.

And, the idea of placing it higher to get more access to the bed is exactly my plan. Bullnose trucks are anything but aerodynamic, so I'm not bothered with the idea of the tent being up in the slipstream. But I do want to be able to get to things in the bed easily.

Another thought I've had is figuring out a way to provide power inside the tent. I'm thinking that lighting and being able to keep a phone or tablet charged would sure be nice. I always charge my mobile devices at night, so would want my phone by me. And if we get a rainy day and stay in the tent a while it would be nice to be able to keep them topped up.

But rainy days aren't a problem for you in GB - right? :nabble_smiley_evil:

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Ha ha, rain in the UK! Thats all we ever get!!!!

:nabble_smiley_happy:

Ha ha, rain in the UK! Thats all we ever get!!!!

Yup. But two things spring to mind.

First, I stepped out of the Conoco/Jet building right behind Selfridge's one evening and the sun was shining. A gentleman on the pavement said "What did you think of our summer?" :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Then years later my boss when I was there, another Yank, and I were back to GB, basically Luton, for a meeting where a bunch of other Yanks were there for the first time. We landed on a Sunday and the sun was shining so we told the others to enjoy it as it wouldn't last. By Friday, with each day being 100% sunshine and the temps well into the 30's C, our credibility was toast. Neither of us had ever seen that many sunny days in one stretch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Yup. But two things spring to mind.

First, I stepped out of the Conoco/Jet building right behind Selfridge's one evening and the sun was shining. A gentleman on the pavement said "What did you think of our summer?" :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Then years later my boss when I was there, another Yank, and I were back to GB, basically Luton, for a meeting where a bunch of other Yanks were there for the first time. We landed on a Sunday and the sun was shining so we told the others to enjoy it as it wouldn't last. By Friday, with each day being 100% sunshine and the temps well into the 30's C, our credibility was toast. Neither of us had ever seen that many sunny days in one stretch. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I see a lot of people mounting their tents with the top of the tent parallel with the cab roof, so you get visibility and storage space without the increased drag of having it above the cab.

RTTs seem great. Ive done a lot of truck camping and think about getting one every summer.

"Sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun. If the sun don't come you get a tan from standing in the English rain."

I am the egg man.

I think going back to GB would be a Magical Mystery Tour. But it ain't gonna happen this year - in spite of us already having money down on it. Maybe next?