Bullnose Forums

Bench seat upholstery covers available anywhere?

Hi All, I have been searching the web for a couple days now and I can't find seat upholstery for either of the seats I have. I am not interested in cheapie "seat covers" that slip over the existing seat fabric, I am looking for actual replacement fabric that would be installed with hog rings like the factory. I found some on eBay that looked OK but were not available in blue. LMC does not seem to carry anything.

The seat choices I have are either the stock bench that came with my 81, or a bench from a 1997 F250 with the headrest humps. I kind of like the headrest humps of the later seat, and it's in far better overall condition that the 81 seat, so I'm leaning towards using it.

Provided I can find quality blue vinyl upholstery material, that is. Any leads?

Thanks!

Pete - Several people have said that SMS is good to deal with. You can see that in these posts: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Does-anyone-make-the-correct-80-86-bronco-seat-upholstery-tp5932p5949.html

Thanks Gary. If I'm understanding what is being said in that thread about SMS, they just make the fabric, you then have to take the fabric to the upholstery shop and get the seat covers made. I'll do that as a last resort, but in my experience if you can find pre-made seat covers, it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper. So that's what I'm looking for, for now.

Thanks Gary. If I'm understanding what is being said in that thread about SMS, they just make the fabric, you then have to take the fabric to the upholstery shop and get the seat covers made. I'll do that as a last resort, but in my experience if you can find pre-made seat covers, it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper. So that's what I'm looking for, for now.

Yes, that's what is being said. And while you are right that pre-made will be cheaper, I doubt you'll find them. But please let us know what you do find.

Yes, that's what is being said. And while you are right that pre-made will be cheaper, I doubt you'll find them. But please let us know what you do find.

SMS will also make you complete ready to install seat covers with the OEM material. You will pay for it, though. When I checked for my '83 it was over $800, which obviously doesn't include installation, new seat foam, frame/spring repairs or things of that nature.

SMS will also make you complete ready to install seat covers with the OEM material. You will pay for it, though. When I checked for my '83 it was over $800, which obviously doesn't include installation, new seat foam, frame/spring repairs or things of that nature.

Yikes. I need to check upholstery shop prices I guess. Last time I used my guy was about 7 years ago, but did a great job on 2 bucket seats for my Fiat X1/9, for $600 in vinyl and $1200 in leather, and that included the door cards. Surely a bench seat is far less complex than 2 individual buckets. So unless prices have changed dramatically, $800 + foam, etc. is more than I would expect to pay. But I guess I actually need to go talk to them to find out for sure.

Yikes. I need to check upholstery shop prices I guess. Last time I used my guy was about 7 years ago, but did a great job on 2 bucket seats for my Fiat X1/9, for $600 in vinyl and $1200 in leather, and that included the door cards. Surely a bench seat is far less complex than 2 individual buckets. So unless prices have changed dramatically, $800 + foam, etc. is more than I would expect to pay. But I guess I actually need to go talk to them to find out for sure.

Probably under $300 last I checked at rock auto.