Bullnose Forums

Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

George - I watched the videos for the Aurora radios and decided there's way too many options for me. He did things with the dials that I could never remember, like turning one twice to the right to answer a call. :nabble_anim_crazy:

So I am just looking for an update on the original radio. Bluetooth is the main need so I can stream and have hands-free calling. But more power would be appreciated.

Send me an email with your address and I'll ship this thing to you.

sure will Gary. Thats my thing too. Simple.

Right now what we want to start off doing is outfitting with just bluetooth and hands free mic with a modern amplifier that can also give preamp and subwoofer outputs

Bingo - I think this is what most people simply want. Especially if it costs less than a fully digital Aurora system that steals away from the fun with tuning manually and using older instruments as they were designed to be used. I love showing my kids and other younger generation adults things like window cranks, manual lock plungers, manual radio tuning, waiting for a cassette to rewind, pulling out a preset button and pressing it to lock in the station for future 1 click tuning, etc. Things I once thought were mundane and in need of updating are now quite endearing for me (:

As for vintage audio, in general....I'm right there with you. I have several piles of old speakers, integrated amps and receivers that I can't bring myself to sell. They are from the 70s-early 90s.

Right now what we want to start off doing is outfitting with just bluetooth and hands free mic with a modern amplifier that can also give preamp and subwoofer outputs

Bingo - I think this is what most people simply want. Especially if it costs less than a fully digital Aurora system that steals away from the fun with tuning manually and using older instruments as they were designed to be used. I love showing my kids and other younger generation adults things like window cranks, manual lock plungers, manual radio tuning, waiting for a cassette to rewind, pulling out a preset button and pressing it to lock in the station for future 1 click tuning, etc. Things I once thought were mundane and in need of updating are now quite endearing for me (:

As for vintage audio, in general....I'm right there with you. I have several piles of old speakers, integrated amps and receivers that I can't bring myself to sell. They are from the 70s-early 90s.

alot of this stuff is just technology run a muck. Nothing today is going to pull in like those radios do. Yes, they dont sound very good, but what alot of people dont know. first off, the amplifiers in those radios are quite good, but are designed to deliever mostly midrange. Ford wanted you to be able to hear and understand the radio over road noise etc. Fidelity wasnt a conern, but rather they wanted you to be ble to understand the radio and have it last, which you can and it did. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to improve on it, believe me, we have tried. Back in those days before the advent of the Switch Mode Power Supply, we were stuck with only 12 volts and there is only so much that can be done with 12 volts. And now, we have the technology to do anything we want with the manufacturers not really careing as to what it sounds like, its 100 watts, its digital, shove it in there. It's the same everywhere, even with music, you would think with all this technology that music would sound better when in fact it really does not. it has bass just for the sake of having bass, they give you something to make your subwoofer go boom boom without giving any regard to the musicality. I guess it's the world we live in today

alot of this stuff is just technology run a muck. Nothing today is going to pull in like those radios do. Yes, they dont sound very good, but what alot of people dont know. first off, the amplifiers in those radios are quite good, but are designed to deliever mostly midrange. Ford wanted you to be able to hear and understand the radio over road noise etc. Fidelity wasnt a conern, but rather they wanted you to be ble to understand the radio and have it last, which you can and it did. Unfortunately, nothing can be done to improve on it, believe me, we have tried. Back in those days before the advent of the Switch Mode Power Supply, we were stuck with only 12 volts and there is only so much that can be done with 12 volts. And now, we have the technology to do anything we want with the manufacturers not really careing as to what it sounds like, its 100 watts, its digital, shove it in there. It's the same everywhere, even with music, you would think with all this technology that music would sound better when in fact it really does not. it has bass just for the sake of having bass, they give you something to make your subwoofer go boom boom without giving any regard to the musicality. I guess it's the world we live in today

George and Nick - Dad's radio is on its way to your PO box. Email sent with tracking #.

Hope you can make it fit my desires, but I'm not in a hurry so see what you can do.

And, while I have you, I'm planning to replace the door panels in Big Blue and just use good 6 1/2" speakers in the factory spot in the doors instead of the hideous 6x9's that are mounted to the door panels. And I'm going to install a Highliner headliner with 4" speakers up there. I have a pair of really nice Alpine SPS-1029S speakers I'll replace the cheap 4" speakers with on the driver's side, but may run the cheap ones on the passenger's side for a while.

Anyway, do you have a recommendation for the 6 1/2's in the doors? They'll be driven by a Sony Xplode CDX-GT08, which says it has 45 watts x 4. I'll dedicate the front channels to the 6 1/2's and the rear channels to the 4" speakers.

I'm thinking with the 4" speakers, which have nice tweeters on them, a 6 1/2 w/o a tweeter would be best. But what I'm finding in my searches are component systems with either a tweeter mounted on the woofer or at least a tweeter included in the package, which would be a waste of money.

George and Nick - Dad's radio is on its way to your PO box. Email sent with tracking #.

Hope you can make it fit my desires, but I'm not in a hurry so see what you can do.

And, while I have you, I'm planning to replace the door panels in Big Blue and just use good 6 1/2" speakers in the factory spot in the doors instead of the hideous 6x9's that are mounted to the door panels. And I'm going to install a Highliner headliner with 4" speakers up there. I have a pair of really nice Alpine SPS-1029S speakers I'll replace the cheap 4" speakers with on the driver's side, but may run the cheap ones on the passenger's side for a while.

Anyway, do you have a recommendation for the 6 1/2's in the doors? They'll be driven by a Sony Xplode CDX-GT08, which says it has 45 watts x 4. I'll dedicate the front channels to the 6 1/2's and the rear channels to the 4" speakers.

I'm thinking with the 4" speakers, which have nice tweeters on them, a 6 1/2 w/o a tweeter would be best. But what I'm finding in my searches are component systems with either a tweeter mounted on the woofer or at least a tweeter included in the package, which would be a waste of money.

Polk DB652 is what both Jim and I have. mine are in the ranchero as you know Brutus has 6x9's in factory holes that looks like they used a can opener to cut them. Jim has the same speakers in his doors as well.

I really dont think it's going to be an issue on " dads " radio. we going to do our best to give you everything you want and is going to help nick out more then you can know.

Polk DB652 is what both Jim and I have. mine are in the ranchero as you know Brutus has 6x9's in factory holes that looks like they used a can opener to cut them. Jim has the same speakers in his doors as well.

I really dont think it's going to be an issue on " dads " radio. we going to do our best to give you everything you want and is going to help nick out more then you can know.

I have every confidence in you and Nick. Take your time as I'm years away from being ready for being ready for it.

As for the Polks, thanks for the suggestion. But they have a tweeter. So, basically all of them do?

I have every confidence in you and Nick. Take your time as I'm years away from being ready for being ready for it.

As for the Polks, thanks for the suggestion. But they have a tweeter. So, basically all of them do?

yes for the most part, but one can never have to much tweet. If you want to go this direction, you can find 61/2 inch woofers and then 2 ways for your headliner. Does the headliner come with speakers?

yes for the most part, but one can never have to much tweet. If you want to go this direction, you can find 61/2 inch woofers and then 2 ways for your headliner. Does the headliner come with speakers?

I just read it again. Ok, so you have some 4 inch already. I can look around for some 6.5 woofers for you, but i really do think this would be the way to go especially if you are using a sub. I think haveing tweeters in the doors as well will sound very good, and if you find there is too much tweet, the polks are very easy to disconnect the tweeter, as there is a real cossover network on the back of the speaker, just unsolder the wires

I just read it again. Ok, so you have some 4 inch already. I can look around for some 6.5 woofers for you, but i really do think this would be the way to go especially if you are using a sub. I think haveing tweeters in the doors as well will sound very good, and if you find there is too much tweet, the polks are very easy to disconnect the tweeter, as there is a real cossover network on the back of the speaker, just unsolder the wires

You are right, having the tweeters in the doors won't hurt as I can easily disable them.

As for the 4" speakers, they are shown below and have a very nice set of tweeters. So I need bass more than tweet.

Sony_4_Inch_Speakers.thumb.jpg.97e5da65d07651f968da85ddca44db14.jpg