Bullnose Forums

Factory Radio restoration and Modification by Nick

Ok, thanks.

Gary, been sitting here thinking about Big blue. This may be a consideration as well for this is planned for Brutus, but a bit later. On the bottom right of the door, as you know there is a speaker grill that matches the one for the speaker. The 6x9's that are in the doors are actually Ford speakers from a 96 crown vic, and after much much testing as far as sound quality goes, these were the winners. Great Bass for inside the doors, paper cone speakers with a paper cone tweeter. now this is just a me thing, but I have always preffered paper cones, they just sound more natural to me. these speakers sound fanfreakintastic in this truck, the only issue is of course when it gets a bit loud, they cant handle the bass all that well. My plan is to install a 6x9 woofer in the bottom of the door to take care of the frequencies the door speakers cant handle. In your situation, you may want to consider this as you will not need to add a subwoofer to get really nice bass that " Thuds" rather then " boom " for as you may or may not know, " boom " is a bad thing, " boom " is not musical in any way shape or form which is why i really like the small subwoofers like the one Jim is using. Nice bass without all that " boom " The 6x9 woofers that are going into the bottom of the door will have a passive crossover, not sharply cutting off the higher frequencies, the woofer will be a 6db crossover, simply a coil. these will cut off at 200 hz or so. The door speakers will then become midbass/range and tweeters. they will have a 12db passive crossover and weill be fed 150 hz and up. The cone tweeter which i aleady have a 18db passive crossover will remain. This is going to turn the door into a true 3 way full frequency response speaker system. Something like this you may consider if the 6.5's that you put in the door dosen't give you the bass response you desire and will require no extra amps just some passive crossover components that i will designe for you if thats the way you want to go

Gary, been sitting here thinking about Big blue. This may be a consideration as well for this is planned for Brutus, but a bit later. On the bottom right of the door, as you know there is a speaker grill that matches the one for the speaker. The 6x9's that are in the doors are actually Ford speakers from a 96 crown vic, and after much much testing as far as sound quality goes, these were the winners. Great Bass for inside the doors, paper cone speakers with a paper cone tweeter. now this is just a me thing, but I have always preffered paper cones, they just sound more natural to me. these speakers sound fanfreakintastic in this truck, the only issue is of course when it gets a bit loud, they cant handle the bass all that well. My plan is to install a 6x9 woofer in the bottom of the door to take care of the frequencies the door speakers cant handle. In your situation, you may want to consider this as you will not need to add a subwoofer to get really nice bass that " Thuds" rather then " boom " for as you may or may not know, " boom " is a bad thing, " boom " is not musical in any way shape or form which is why i really like the small subwoofers like the one Jim is using. Nice bass without all that " boom " The 6x9 woofers that are going into the bottom of the door will have a passive crossover, not sharply cutting off the higher frequencies, the woofer will be a 6db crossover, simply a coil. these will cut off at 200 hz or so. The door speakers will then become midbass/range and tweeters. they will have a 12db passive crossover and weill be fed 150 hz and up. The cone tweeter which i aleady have a 18db passive crossover will remain. This is going to turn the door into a true 3 way full frequency response speaker system. Something like this you may consider if the 6.5's that you put in the door dosen't give you the bass response you desire and will require no extra amps just some passive crossover components that i will designe for you if thats the way you want to go

George - I think I see what you are saying. On Brutus you intend to put a 6x9 on the bottom/front of the door and put a grille on it. Right? If so, that won't work for Big Blue as he has a carpet storage pocket covering that spot.

But, I think you are saying that you already have 6x9's in the doors. Is that correct? If so, why can't I put the 6x9's that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: put on the outside of the door panel in the door? They are decent speakers, so if I don't have to cut the door up I could at least try them.

I'll get the details on what they are later, but what did you have to do to mount yours?

George - I think I see what you are saying. On Brutus you intend to put a 6x9 on the bottom/front of the door and put a grille on it. Right? If so, that won't work for Big Blue as he has a carpet storage pocket covering that spot.

But, I think you are saying that you already have 6x9's in the doors. Is that correct? If so, why can't I put the 6x9's that http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg put on the outside of the door panel in the door? They are decent speakers, so if I don't have to cut the door up I could at least try them.

I'll get the details on what they are later, but what did you have to do to mount yours?

Ok, I hadn't gotten to your post about Brutus when I responded, but now have and think I see what you are saying.

In this pic you show what someone, possibly http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg, did to the door to get the 6x9 in. Ouch! I don't think I want to do that to these doors.

DSCN0868.jpg.4f0d737c35d7284583f9a20325eb5894.jpg

And I can see the vent you are talking about placing the 6 1/2" speakers behind. I think that's an '87 and later door pocket/vent combo, and BB's pocket is full length so I don't have that vent.

I'm going to pull the door panels off today to see what I have.....

Ok, I hadn't gotten to your post about Brutus when I responded, but now have and think I see what you are saying.

In this pic you show what someone, possibly :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:, did to the door to get the 6x9 in. Ouch! I don't think I want to do that to these doors.

And I can see the vent you are talking about placing the 6 1/2" speakers behind. I think that's an '87 and later door pocket/vent combo, and BB's pocket is full length so I don't have that vent.

I'm going to pull the door panels off today to see what I have.....

Gary, Ford motor company did that, LOL, that is factory equipment. horrible isnt it?

i forgot about that , those door panels are original, but being a half year truck, they are 87's.

Gary, Ford motor company did that, LOL, that is factory equipment. horrible isnt it?

i forgot about that , those door panels are original, but being a half year truck, they are 87's.

Really neat thread and those referenced videos are crazy!

I don't know though. I don't see Ford doing that to the doors but Brutus does have some unique options. On the lower panels, how does that cutout look?

Really neat thread and those referenced videos are crazy!

I don't know though. I don't see Ford doing that to the doors but Brutus does have some unique options. On the lower panels, how does that cutout look?

I promis you, Ford did do it. If you read my post called " What makes Brutus so special " you will understand. I found the documentation on what is different about this truck, its at the beginning. give it a read. Brutus is a rare bull.

I promis you, Ford did do it. If you read my post called " What makes Brutus so special " you will understand. I found the documentation on what is different about this truck, its at the beginning. give it a read. Brutus is a rare bull.

There is no cutout, just the grill. there is no documentation anywhere about a speaker being there.

Just read that thread now. Liked the can opener bit :nabble_smiley_happy:

Interesting stuff.

Nice work on the radio restore listed earlier in this thread!