Bullnose Forums

Hot rod '85 Flareside in NM

Nice truck! Not sure it is worth $12K, but it really is nice. And you probably couldn't build it for that.

(Somehow this went into my Promotions folder and I missed it until now.

I agree on both counts. 12K is unrealistic but I'm sure it cost more than that to build. My main observation with hot rods or resto mods is that most people do not want to inherit someone else's custom choices. This really hurts the chances of getting back what you put into it.

I agree on both counts. 12K is unrealistic but I'm sure it cost more than that to build. My main observation with hot rods or resto mods is that most people do not want to inherit someone else's custom choices. This really hurts the chances of getting back what you put into it.

Custom anythings are hard to sell. But, I don't want my trucks to ever sell. So I'm happy making little mod's here and there if it'll make it easier for the trucks to be maintained (like the EFI), or more fun to drive (think 400 HP and 500 ft-lbs), or just what I want (like the 3rd brake light on Dad's).

Custom anythings are hard to sell. But, I don't want my trucks to ever sell. So I'm happy making little mod's here and there if it'll make it easier for the trucks to be maintained (like the EFI), or more fun to drive (think 400 HP and 500 ft-lbs), or just what I want (like the 3rd brake light on Dad's).

I'll bet it gets amazing gas mileage with no vacuum advance.

Can you install a mechanical advance in a vacuum advance distributor? I assumed that's what happened.

Never installed one myself.

:nabble_anim_confused:

Most (all?) distributors have mechanical advance, and vacuum advance is added for economy - and it makes a huge difference. That dizzy actually has vacuum advance, and I've circled it in green. Notice that there is a cap on the vacuum port. All it needs is a vacuum line run to ported vacuum and the MPG would improve. (I'd say significantly, but not if he's "on" it all the time as there's little vacuum under hard acceleration.)

Hot_Rod_460.jpg.19591eca113d34d0d0f319b7baa09a2b.jpg

Most (all?) distributors have mechanical advance, and vacuum advance is added for economy - and it makes a huge difference. That dizzy actually has vacuum advance, and I've circled it in green. Notice that there is a cap on the vacuum port. All it needs is a vacuum line run to ported vacuum and the MPG would improve. (I'd say significantly, but not if he's "on" it all the time as there's little vacuum under hard acceleration.)

OK, thanks.

Yeah I saw it was capped, that's why I assumed it was mechanical.

And I guess I didn't realize they were mechanical with vacuum added.

Man, do this stuff for years and still learn, gotta ask questions!