Bullnose Forums

Looking for a special timing cover

Rodeoclown

I am looking for a special timing cover. SBF-351, nothing special yet, CCW rotation water pump, again nothing special, mechanical fuel pump, problem. Apparently the idea of using a CCW (serpentine belt system) and a mechanical fuel pump is not to be done. I am putting a 96 roller 351 with it's serpentine system in to an 86 F350 with a tired 351. I have the new CCW W/P and want to continue to use the carb with mechanical F/P. The timing cover doesn't need a dip stick hole or sensor boss. At this point the only option I see is to make a special cover by cutting two covers and welding the two desired halves back together. I'd thought the Speedmaster PCE 265-1045 would handle either direction of W/P spin. The coolant holes don't line up enough, either one. Bolt holes are fine. Major leaks will happen. I have the smog pump delete bracket and the correct diameter pulley to continue to use factory spec. belt. I think for the immediate time being I'll be installing the A/C delete bracket and pulley just to get the truck running. By default will need to upgrade to 3G alternator, P/S is no problem as it is the same unit, CII. Waiting for the iron GT40 heads to come back from the shop. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What did you end up doing with this? I thought there was a different thread, but I can't find it atm.

I put my roller 302 together with the truck's 1981 timing cover and a CCW pump - works just fine.

PS - Tell yer parts man that you need a water pump for a Mustang...

What did you end up doing with this? I thought there was a different thread, but I can't find it atm.

Well, I looked and looked and then I looked some more. I could not find a CCW cover with a mechanical fuel pump boss. So I had to fall back and punt. I am fortunate enough to have a local blacksmith that truly is an artist of metal. I showed him two covers and explained exactly what I was looking for what was critical. A couple of weeks later I have a CCW timing cover with the f/p boss. He made a jig to ensure acceptable location. The cover looks great and I am sure it will work fine. I have started to assemble the engine and am now having replacement bolt issues. I think I will go up to the fall Carlisle and just look around. Maybe I'll find a pair of Victoria doors cheap. Not holding my breath.

Well, I looked and looked and then I looked some more. I could not find a CCW cover with a mechanical fuel pump boss. So I had to fall back and punt. I am fortunate enough to have a local blacksmith that truly is an artist of metal. I showed him two covers and explained exactly what I was looking for what was critical. A couple of weeks later I have a CCW timing cover with the f/p boss. He made a jig to ensure acceptable location. The cover looks great and I am sure it will work fine. I have started to assemble the engine and am now having replacement bolt issues. I think I will go up to the fall Carlisle and just look around. Maybe I'll find a pair of Victoria doors cheap. Not holding my breath.

I'd like to see some pics of that cover. Curious what a real craftsman can do.