Bullnose Forums

1980 F150 4x4 Flareside Project

Rembrant

So I finally dug the old 300/6 out today and loaded it up on the engine stand. This thing hasn't run in years...and I have no idea how many years. The truck had been sitting somewhere between 3-5 or 6 years, and it wasn't running when he bought it. I'm guessing it has been a decade or more, but who knows. I started scraping the rust and dirt and grime off it, and will yank the manifolds tomorrow (fingers crossed for no broken bolts...ugh).

Before bolting it to the trans and mounting it all back in the truck, I'm going to change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal. I need to order a pushrod cover gasket as well as intake & exhaust manifold gaskets, carb gasket, etc. I have a new pilot bearing for the manual trans (engine was on an auto trans), as well as a new flywheel.

Question for you guys:

Best way to pull the rear main seal? Put screws in it? Is that how you guys do it?

Crusty indeed... But I bet it will clean up nice and run like a champ! So what are your plans, did you get inspiration from the Powernation build or did you already have grand plans? Or sticking with stock?

I've read about people using grease, bread, wet newspaper, etc to drive the bearing out. Didn't work for me. Instead, I used a very small gear puller with the legs turned around.

Good day Gary I am ok with the pilot bearing there is none to removed. I just had to wire wheel the rust out of the hole. What I was curious about was rear main seal removal. I guess I will make a tool like Eric did.

Crusty indeed... But I bet it will clean up nice and run like a champ! So what are your plans, did you get inspiration from the Powernation build or did you already have grand plans? Or sticking with stock?

Only plans for now are to make it run lol. If everything going ok maybe I’ll do some upgrades later on but right now just aiming for the bare bones basics!

Cory, why you pulling the manifolds?

Sorry Dave I missed this. Main reason is rust which means broken bolts and the stupid intake actually has rust holes in it (exhaust side). I bought another set of manifolds and the intake had already been welded where mine has holes lol. Common issue maybe? So I fixed up the new/used one and rewelded the bad spots (previous welds were not great). Got everything cleaned up, drilled our broken bolts and cleaned gasket surfaces. I think it’s all ready to go back together now.

Cory, why you pulling the manifolds?

Sorry Dave I missed this. Main reason is rust which means broken bolts and the stupid intake actually has rust holes in it (exhaust side). I bought another set of manifolds and the intake had already been welded where mine has holes lol. Common issue maybe? So I fixed up the new/used one and rewelded the bad spots (previous welds were not great). Got everything cleaned up, drilled our broken bolts and cleaned gasket surfaces. I think it’s all ready to go back together now.

Cory, the linkage for the automatic transmission kick-down feature is an item which someone occasionally is looking for.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n74764/119557303_3934435049905160_4679054730169080596_n.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n74764/3D3B_Codes.jpg

Anyway, simple minds...simple pleasures, but I'll be trying the 3D and 3B paints to see how they match up.

So I was finally able to confirm the paint codes on this old truck, and they DO match the pictures of that Bronco I posted earlier. I'm kind of excited, because the truck does not have a certification label...but I did find this below tag in the paperwork that came with the truck, and it shows the 3B3D which would be the two tone blue paint code.

IMG_2925.jpg.dd0cef9dab0629b9f774a712312f1868.jpg

Interesting to note that this truck was an early build at the Canadian truck plant, with a sequence number of only 0649. One thing I do not have is a build date for the truck. The "In Service" date is shown as August 1980, but there is a receipt in the paperwork from where the original Ford/Merc dealer sent the truck out for a Permashine treatment in October of 1979. So they obviously had the truck pretty early, and it obviously sat on the lot for a long time...almost 10 months.

Gary or anybody else want to take a stab at what the "3" on the data tag indicates? I've confirmed everything else on there, but the 3 has me puzzled.

Anyway, the truck was originally a 302 with a Warner T-18 4spd and 3.50 limited slip diff.

I might have to spring for a Marti report on this one to figure out some of the finer details...not that it matters much, but I am curious.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n74764/119557303_3934435049905160_4679054730169080596_n.jpg

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n74764/3D3B_Codes.jpg

Anyway, simple minds...simple pleasures, but I'll be trying the 3D and 3B paints to see how they match up.

So I was finally able to confirm the paint codes on this old truck, and they DO match the pictures of that Bronco I posted earlier. I'm kind of excited, because the truck does not have a certification label...but I did find this below tag in the paperwork that came with the truck, and it shows the 3B3D which would be the two tone blue paint code.

Interesting to note that this truck was an early build at the Canadian truck plant, with a sequence number of only 0649. One thing I do not have is a build date for the truck. The "In Service" date is shown as August 1980, but there is a receipt in the paperwork from where the original Ford/Merc dealer sent the truck out for a Permashine treatment in October of 1979. So they obviously had the truck pretty early, and it obviously sat on the lot for a long time...almost 10 months.

Gary or anybody else want to take a stab at what the "3" on the data tag indicates? I've confirmed everything else on there, but the 3 has me puzzled.

Anyway, the truck was originally a 302 with a Warner T-18 4spd and 3.50 limited slip diff.

I might have to spring for a Marti report on this one to figure out some of the finer details...not that it matters much, but I am curious.

Cool!

The F140 says it is a 1980 F150 4wd w/a 5600 lb GVWR. And I think the "3" says it is a regular cab w/flareside pickup box, as shown below from the page at Documentation/Specifications/Body Codes.

4131643.thumb.jpg.f6cdbf7fb4361d67a6c5e2e588834085.jpg

Cool!

The F140 says it is a 1980 F150 4wd w/a 5600 lb GVWR. And I think the "3" says it is a regular cab w/flareside pickup box, as shown below from the page at Documentation/Specifications/Body Codes.

Good call Gary! That is likely what it is. I think I did see that, but kinda cruised past it.

With a sequence number of only 0649, this truck was probably built in the first week or so of 1980 MY production at the Canadian plant. That is of course if the sequence numbers are specific to the plants, which I assume they are?

Cool!

Good call Gary! That is likely what it is. I think I did see that, but kinda cruised past it.

With a sequence number of only 0649, this truck was probably built in the first week or so of 1980 MY production at the Canadian plant. That is of course if the sequence numbers are specific to the plants, which I assume they are?

Yes, I'm very sure the "numerical sequence of assembly" is per plant.

Cool!

Good news and bad news on the crusty '80 Bullnose project. I got the engine mostly RE-sealed this weekend, buttoned it all up to the transmission, and dropped it all into the 1995 frame.

IMG_2949.jpg.083d2fdb9b79dd51a8b509c1b3a78f5d.jpg

IMG_2950.jpg.6e3a63452b20ba5f5f639b862530773e.jpg

Bad news is that when I had the oil pan off I could see the camshaft, and it is not good. Looks to be some pretty serious wear on the lobes. No big deal I suppose...I can replace the cam and lifters, but I'm going to wait and do a compression test (and oil pressure test) and see how it looks from there. Stay tuned for more.

I checked RockAuto, and the 300 cam/lifter kits are all out of stock.

Anyway...

Plan is to install the cab next weekend, and modify the 1995 crumble frame horns to accept the donor '86 frame horns I scavenged from the junkyard. I spent some time this afternoon measuring everything on my ;84 to make sure I get it all right. I made some fitting/measuring blocks out of wood so everything should be (relatively) correct when welded together.

Other than that, I've just been making a list of parts to get on order asap. Shipping is going to start seeing Christmas delays soon, and I want to make sure I have enough parts to keep me busy through the holidays (I have a week and a half off).