Bullnose Forums

2020 Virtual Truck Show Planning - Input, Please!

Ok, it is official - we are having a virtual truck show, and it will be two months from today, 19th September.

Here are some ideas and thoughts I've had toward it after having read and re-read the comments on the other thread: Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

Eligibility: Any & all Ford trucks owned by a member of this forum, regardless of how long they've been a member, where they live, etc. And, regardless of year of the truck, percent of completion, cost, etc. (Note that this means Scott can enter his whole herd of Bulls.)

Classes: In the past we've had these classes: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Best Paint; & Farthest Distance Driven. Obviously the latter isn't going to work, so how 'bout Ugliest Truck? (That was Frank's idea as he thinks his truck might win. :nabble_smiley_evil:) And/or Shaun suggested In Progress or In Pieces. (He who has the most pieces wins?)

Swap Meet: David suggested we have a section for a swap meet where people provide pictures of what they have to sell. Not sure how to do that, yet, but will work on it.

Entry Format: Video or still pics are acceptable formats for entry. But it was suggested that each of us include a pic of ourself by our truck(s) just as it would be if we were at an in-person show. And that can be video or still as well. Plus, I think we should have a write-up about each truck giving us a bit of info.

Time & Judging: It has been pointed out, and rightly so, that we are an international forum as we have people from Australia to Poland with nine countries in between. That's a time difference of 17 hours, so I think we need to do something that isn't live. I suggest that I put up a poll for each category and let everyone vote. But, we need to give people time, so we may have to have a 48 hour window for judging, and it will be one vote per member for each category.

So, what do you think about the above? It is just an initial suggestion, and I'm sure it will take a lot of tweaking.

I like the plan Gary, I think it sounds great. Hopefully the poll function will prevent you from having to spend a lot of time creating something else to accomplish the judging. It may not be an issue, but should there be a plan in the event of a tie? Also, the truck of the month poll shows the number of votes. Is there any way to hide this until after the voting deadline? Not a huge deal if not, but I think it would be better without showing the results until the voting is over. The ugly truck category sounds fun, I have some strong contenders! Only catch might be if someone’s truck got votes who didn’t want them 😅. I think best paint will be difficult to judge via photos, as a 10 footer can look spectacular in photos, but up close not so much. I still like the category, but it is a pitfall. Closest to stock might also be difficult to determine via photos, but I think a lot of this will reflect the effort put in by the owner (quality and content of the photos, videos & write-up).

What about something like having classes of Bronco, F100, F150, F250, and F350, and then separate entries for best Flareside, best dually, best crew cab, etc...and then maybe a best in show overall. To include Non-Bullnose trucks you could add Dentside and Bricknose categories. I dunno, I'm just spitballin'...

I like the plan Gary, I think it sounds great. Hopefully the poll function will prevent you from having to spend a lot of time creating something else to accomplish the judging. It may not be an issue, but should there be a plan in the event of a tie? Also, the truck of the month poll shows the number of votes. Is there any way to hide this until after the voting deadline? Not a huge deal if not, but I think it would be better without showing the results until the voting is over. The ugly truck category sounds fun, I have some strong contenders! Only catch might be if someone’s truck got votes who didn’t want them 😅. I think best paint will be difficult to judge via photos, as a 10 footer can look spectacular in photos, but up close not so much. I still like the category, but it is a pitfall. Closest to stock might also be difficult to determine via photos, but I think a lot of this will reflect the effort put in by the owner (quality and content of the photos, videos & write-up).

Steve - Longest owned might be an option. Thanks.

Jonathan - You have a point about the Best Paint category. That's really hard to tell in-person, so maybe we ought to scratch that one and replace it.

On Closest To Stock, what if we leave it to the owner to tell us what isn't stock - assuming s/he is wanting it to be part of that category?

As for the polls, I can only put one poll in the first post of a thread, so we'll have to have a thread for each category. But I do have the option to turn viewing off before the poll is over, so will plan to do that.

Poll_Options.thumb.jpg.2887eb0a953b384106834998d86eb4b8.jpg

What about something like having classes of Bronco, F100, F150, F250, and F350, and then separate entries for best Flareside, best dually, best crew cab, etc...and then maybe a best in show overall. To include Non-Bullnose trucks you could add Dentside and Bricknose categories. I dunno, I'm just spitballin'...

Cory - I must have been typing my last response when you posted.

But I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying having classes for Bronco, F100, F150, F250, F350, Flareside, DRW, Crewcab, Supercab, Regular cab, Dentside, Bricknose, etc? What do we do with earlier trucks like the F1? Or Model T, which we've had.

The classes above, not including the F1 and Model T, add up to 12. That's starting to get expensive as I'm buying the trophies and shipping them to wherever the winner is, which could be Poland or Australia. And that wouldn't even include all possible entries.

I'm thinking we need to use generic categories that will fit whatever gets entered. So with the previous input I'm now thinking: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Ugliest Truck; & Longest Owned. But I'm still looking for input from y'all.

And some caveats. For instance, on Best Engine and Best Upgrades they have to be installed. In other words, my plans to put an inverter as well as an air compressor in Big Blue don't count towards Best Upgrades since they haven't been installed - even though I already have them. But, Dad's engine is installed so would count. Will that work?

Last, I think we need to say that if a truck wins one class/category it can't win again. So, as an example, assume a truck gets the most votes, 500, in Best Engine and the most votes, 400, in Best Upgrades. In that case it will win Best Engine and we will disregard its 400 votes in Best Upgrades and that award will go to the truck that got the next most votes. Ok?

But I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying having classes for Bronco, F100, F150, F250, F350, Flareside, DRW, Crewcab, Supercab, Regular cab, Dentside, Bricknose, etc? What do we do with earlier trucks like the F1? Or Model T, which we've had.

Gary,

Don't mind me, I was just spitballin' ideas since I thought you were looking for ways to break up the classes. Of course I am totally fine with whatever you do.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Gary,

Don't mind me, I was just spitballin' ideas since I thought you were looking for ways to break up the classes. Of course I am totally fine with whatever you do.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Cory - I appreciate the ideas. They actually helped as I'd not realized before that the classes or categories are generic, meaning they'll cover whatever gets entered. So any changes to them need to stay generic. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Cory - I appreciate the ideas. They actually helped as I'd not realized before that the classes or categories are generic, meaning they'll cover whatever gets entered. So any changes to them need to stay generic. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Sounds like a good "foundation" Gary, But as you mentioned, Trophies and shipping could get expensive.

Categories need to be condensed, If adding brick, bumps, and dents, T's maybe limit that to 1 or 2 trophies?

Divide Bullnose up as mentioned in more detail..

Long bed Styleside

Short bed Styleside

Flaerside

Dually

4x4 vs 2x4?

Break up Standard cab vs super vs 4-door? your call..

Or do exactly as you do for "in person" shows....

Ron

Cory - I must have been typing my last response when you posted.

The classes above, not including the F1 and Model T, add up to 12. That's starting to get expensive as I'm buying the trophies and shipping them to wherever the winner is, which could be Poland or Australia. And that wouldn't even include all possible entries.

I'm thinking we need to use generic categories that will fit whatever gets entered. So with the previous input I'm now thinking: Best Engine; Best Upgrades; People's Favorite; Closest To Stock; Ugliest Truck; & Longest Owned. But I'm still looking for input from y'all.

And some caveats. For instance, on Best Engine and Best Upgrades they have to be installed. In other words, my plans to put an inverter as well as an air compressor in Big Blue don't count towards Best Upgrades since they haven't been installed - even though I already have them. But, Dad's engine is installed so would count. Will that work?

Last, I think we need to say that if a truck wins one class/category it can't win again. So, as an example, assume a truck gets the most votes, 500, in Best Engine and the most votes, 400, in Best Upgrades. In that case it will win Best Engine and we will disregard its 400 votes in Best Upgrades and that award will go to the truck that got the next most votes. Ok?

I am in favor of general categories. I also like the idea of allowing a truck to win only one category. However, does this apply to the vehicle or the member? For instance, could a member with two trucks still win two trophies? Also, if a truck were to sweep the most votes in two categories, how would you decide which trophy to award and which category would default to the runner up? Perhaps number the categories and award in order or something else? This is all mechanical details but should be thought through. One possible spin or addition to the longest owned category might be best back-story truck adventure story etc., to evoke more participation than just a purchase date? Not that a truck tale is any more verifiable than years owned... but it would add interest and give folks something to vote on.