Bullnose Forums

Electric AC Condenser Fan

As far as it goes for us right now. I'm just asking the questions that i have some doubts about. We haven't started installing anything yet. All the ductwork is done and complete. Once the dash goes back in we are going to get started on it. Just want to get my ducks in a row if you know what i mean

This truck is a bit of a pain though. I nick named it Ghost Truck. Not sure if any of you are aware or not, but this truck is a Military truck. in late 86 model year they made 1000 of these trucks, they were all baby blue with the Z vector stripes on it. There is alot of redundant wiring , and everything is super heavy duty everywhere. In addition, there is alot of 87 parts and some of the electronics are Lincoln. This is a half year truck. I have the same problem with the Ranchero, we have a 79 1/2 very limited edition of which only 350 still exhist out of 700. in late 79 model year they sent the Ranchero out with a bang. All leather, XR7 door panels, leather dash pad and instrument panel. This one is a pain as well, some of it is Lincoln, some of it is cougar/T bird.

I have the whole set of books on the truck, all 5 of them. they come in handy If anybody needs anything i will be happy to send copies of whatever you need

Generous offer. But my two sets of those books, 1981 and '85, and pretty well hacked up and on the site as pdf's. Yes, there's lots more that can be put out there, but it'll all come over time.

Generous offer. But my two sets of those books, 1981 and '85, and pretty well hacked up and on the site as pdf's. Yes, there's lots more that can be put out there, but it'll all come over time.

Gary if you need anything put up, just let me know if you dont have it and i do i will send it to you

Gary if you need anything put up, just let me know if you dont have it and i do i will send it to you

Thanks. But I have a rather extensive library, including:

• Master Parts Catalogs: I have several versions of the 1980 - 89 MPC, including two different versions of the "final" 1994 copy on CD. Plus, with the help of another member I have one of only two copies that have several of the missing pages from that version added in. And I have two versions of it on microfiche.

• Factory Shop Manuals: 1981 & '85

• EVTM's: all Bullnose years

• Technical Service Bulletins: every one from 1979 into the mid-90's

• Brochures: Not all of them, but a pretty decent start, as shown here: Documentation/Literature.

• Other: As shown in Literature there are other documents or booklets included, like body builders guides, owner guides, operators manuals, etc

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for more literature!

This truck is a bit of a pain though. I nick named it Ghost Truck. Not sure if any of you are aware or not, but this truck is a Military truck. in late 86 model year they made 1000 of these trucks, they were all baby blue with the Z vector stripes on it. There is alot of redundant wiring , and everything is super heavy duty everywhere. In addition, there is alot of 87 parts and some of the electronics are Lincoln. This is a half year truck. I have the same problem with the Ranchero, we have a 79 1/2 very limited edition of which only 350 still exhist out of 700. in late 79 model year they sent the Ranchero out with a bang. All leather, XR7 door panels, leather dash pad and instrument panel. This one is a pain as well, some of it is Lincoln, some of it is cougar/T bird.

That kind of sounds like the M880s, basically a D200, but had some idiosyncrasies in it making not exactly a normal D200. A lot was almost a trailer tow package as far as cooling system and brakes minus the trailer wiring.

As far as late production, Darth was built August 1986 and some of the stuff on him is interesting. Now, front sheet metal is from a 1990, as is the E4OD, engine controls are 1996, EEC-V reflashed to do away with the misfire detector, third O2 sensor and catalyst overheat sensor. My first car, a 1964 Falcon with the 260 V8 and 3 speed was built July 27th 1964, it had 289 heads on it, instrument cluster, everything in it had PNs starting C5ZZ signifying Mustang.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that you have to change the clutch pressure switch on the receiver/ dryer to one that is for R134 as the pressures run different then they do for R12. That makes a big difference in the way the AC performs. Not meaning to sound mean or anything, but it sounds like someone did dident do a complete job when your system was converted to R134.

Steve, what switch (part number) are you using for 134a?

I looked up the switch for my truck, 81 factory AC, and for a 85 and both were for R12.

If I was to get one say for a mid 90's truck, should be 134a by then, I don't know if the plug would be the same as mine.

I also seen a post that mine might be adjustable, need to look when back in the garage, and just a vary little turn is needed.

Factory AC 300 / 4.9 trucks came with fan shrouds the non-AC trucks only had a fan guard on the top so you did not get eaten by the fan.

Because my truck was a mix of parts when I got it has I think has a 5 blade fixed fan.

I had to come up with the shroud and it made a big difference on the amount of air pulled thru the grille. BTW the radiator supports are for AC or non-AC trucks, I have an AC one.

The new condensers do not bolt in. You have to space it forward so even less room between it and the grille.

From what others have posted over the years on 134a change over I don't see any issues not having a pusher fan out front as long as you have a good fan & shroud.

Still working on getting my AC system together and working.

I am this close .......... LOL

Dave ----

Dave I gave you this pressure switch part number on another thread we were on, talking about ac a few days ago. Here it is again, The NAPA part number for the R134 pressure switch is TEM207887.

Steve. Wow, you getting temp's that low at idle? or do you have a shop fan blowing on the condenser for charging like we used to have to with R12? You are using PAG 50 oil. is this a FS6 compressor?

1 I dont have a fan blowing into the grill, just the cars fan pulling air through the condenser.

2 I dont even have a shop at home, I work out side in the heat, dirt and rocks( a shop is in the near future)

3 You say you have an expantion valve and an orface tube? They both do the same job. If you have an expantion valve, you dont have factory air, it was added by the dealer. That being said, you may have the wrong fan shroud and the wrong fan for ac.

4 My car has the same compressor that it had from the factory, a Sanden. I had to replace it in 02. When the hoses went in 02 and I did the orignal convershion in 02, there was a bunch of metal in the orface tube so I changed the compressor at the same time as the metal pieces mean the compressor is coming apart.

Dave I gave you this pressure switch part number on another thread we were on, talking about ac a few days ago. Here it is again, The NAPA part number for the R134 pressure switch is TEM207887.

thanks for that info steve,you just made my life a bit easier

i can pretty much guarantee its factory AC, i'm going to go back to the books to check on some things. But like i mentioned earlier in this post, this is a strange truck

I think i'm getting the truck and the ranchero confused. the truck does not have an expansion valve, way to many things going on at the same time. here is pics of some of the original stuff