Bullnose Forums

Hole identification on the cylinder heads - 302 V8

While I've got you, I'm considering priming the engine with oil while it's still in the engine stand. I have a dummy distributor and will use a power drill. Advantages/disadvantages to doing this while still in the stand? I thought it may be easier to purge the air from the engine with regard to plug installation after the engine is primed.

I have my 302 pulled out and disassembled now. I'm actually dropping all the pieces off at an engine shop tomorrow morning. Getting them to go over the short block for me, and assemble the rest (GT40 heads, Comp Cam kit, Edelbrock intake, etc).

I was going to assemble it myself, and I was going to do like you and prime the oil system with a drill once the engine was back in the truck. However, now that I'm getting a shop to assemble and break-in/dyno for me, it's kind of a moot point and I forgot about it.

What is this dummy distributor you were going to use? I guess that would work fine, as long as you remove the drive gear from the distributor shaft. I know there are purpose built shafts for priming, but if you have an old distributor you can use, that should work just fine. Make sure to check rotation;).

Yes, make sure the cam drive gear is off of the distributor you are going to use to spin the oil pump.