Bullnose Forums

My 86 Bullnose - "Blackie"

Machspeed

The above two photos are not the same rear quarter. The one on the left is the passenger side, while the one on the right is the driver's side. Note the cut out pattern outlined by the tape in the two photos. One is correct and the other is not. I did the diver's side first (pic on right) and made some very bad choices in cutting it out. First bad choice was going too high above the body line. The second was not radiusing the corners. This caused me a lot of grief when I welded it back in, as I got some warpage and even some fuel canning. As hard as I tried, I could not dolly and hammer that warpage out and the more I tried the worse the fuel canning was. I was over my head in that. As such, I took it to someone who knew what he was doing and he utilized heat in the right places to straighten and remove the fuel canning. Below are photos of my work in fixing the passenger side which came out quite well.

Nice!

You’re making me nervous about the rust though!

The above two photos are not the same rear quarter. The one on the left is the passenger side, while the one on the right is the driver's side. Note the cut out pattern outlined by the tape in the two photos. One is correct and the other is not. I did the diver's side first (pic on right) and made some very bad choices in cutting it out. First bad choice was going too high above the body line. The second was not radiusing the corners. This caused me a lot of grief when I welded it back in, as I got some warpage and even some fuel canning. As hard as I tried, I could not dolly and hammer that warpage out and the more I tried the worse the fuel canning was. I was over my head in that. As such, I took it to someone who knew what he was doing and he utilized heat in the right places to straighten and remove the fuel canning. Below are photos of my work in fixing the passenger side which came out quite well.

John - You are explaining exactly why I went pro from the start. (Actually, the first guy wasn't a pro but he said he was.) While I had planned to do everything myself, including the bodywork, I came to the realization that I didn't know enough to do that.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but it looks like you have it sorted nicely. Well done!

John - You are explaining exactly why I went pro from the start. (Actually, the first guy wasn't a pro but he said he was.) While I had planned to do everything myself, including the bodywork, I came to the realization that I didn't know enough to do that.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but it looks like you have it sorted nicely. Well done!

Gary, nothing ventured nothing gained. I learned a lot in this process, knowledge that I will apply to the work I do on my Mustang. Moreover, I'd rather fumble through something to eventually work to near perfection, than pay someone to do a half arse job and then have to pay someone else to fix it. I've done that before and I really struggle with it. Puts a bad taste in one's mouth for sure. I probably don't need to tell you, but it is very hard these days to find people that take any pride in their work.

Gary, nothing ventured nothing gained. I learned a lot in this process, knowledge that I will apply to the work I do on my Mustang. Moreover, I'd rather fumble through something to eventually work to near perfection, than pay someone to do a half arse job and then have to pay someone else to fix it. I've done that before and I really struggle with it. Puts a bad taste in one's mouth for sure. I probably don't need to tell you, but it is very hard these days to find people that take any pride in their work.

I understand. And I really hate having dumped big bucks into the first pass on both Dad's engine and bodywork. But had I done the bodywork I'd still be working on it. I think I've come to the conclusion that for things like bodywork where there is an art to doing it I'll pay an artist to do it.

That leaves me to do the one-off things that you'd be really hard pressed to find someone to do, like integrate a '95 wiring scheme into an '85 truck so you can go with the EEC-V EFI. Or add the 90's fuel system but step the pressure down to accommodate a carb for the interim. And then there's the Saginaw P/C pump with a hydroboost brake system and a '95 master cylinder. And adding a '95 D60 front axle with a Sky RSK. If you found someone to do those things it would cost 10 times as much as doing them yourself, and even then you'd be involved on a very frequent basis as the questions came up.

But it gets down to what we want to do and what we are capable of doing. I'm more of an engineer than an artist, so I'm learning to stay away from things that take an artist's touch.

I understand. And I really hate having dumped big bucks into the first pass on both Dad's engine and bodywork. But had I done the bodywork I'd still be working on it. I think I've come to the conclusion that for things like bodywork where there is an art to doing it I'll pay an artist to do it.

That leaves me to do the one-off things that you'd be really hard pressed to find someone to do, like integrate a '95 wiring scheme into an '85 truck so you can go with the EEC-V EFI. Or add the 90's fuel system but step the pressure down to accommodate a carb for the interim. And then there's the Saginaw P/C pump with a hydroboost brake system and a '95 master cylinder. And adding a '95 D60 front axle with a Sky RSK. If you found someone to do those things it would cost 10 times as much as doing them yourself, and even then you'd be involved on a very frequent basis as the questions came up.

But it gets down to what we want to do and what we are capable of doing. I'm more of an engineer than an artist, so I'm learning to stay away from things that take an artist's touch.

Yeah, I get that Gary. There is a large learning curve for paint and body and indeed there is some artistry in it. I've always been fascinated with it though and it has, by far, the greatest impact on a restoration, thus my desire to learn to do it.

Yeah, I get that Gary. There is a large learning curve for paint and body and indeed there is some artistry in it. I've always been fascinated with it though and it has, by far, the greatest impact on a restoration, thus my desire to learn to do it.

A better man than I. My artistry is limited to drawing stick figures, and even then they aren't easily recognized. :nabble_smiley_sad:

A better man than I. My artistry is limited to drawing stick figures, and even then they aren't easily recognized. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Nice truck John, and great story to match. Congrats on changing your mind on selling it as no other truck would be able to replace what you have now, no matter how nice they may appear. Plus, you can fix what you have now if something goes awry.

Nice truck John, and great story to match. Congrats on changing your mind on selling it as no other truck would be able to replace what you have now, no matter how nice they may appear. Plus, you can fix what you have now if something goes awry.

Thanks Frank, and I agree on no truck replacing my truck for a host of reasons!

• 1 month later...

Thanks Frank, and I agree on no truck replacing my truck for a host of reasons!

Fixed latch assembly and repainted my tailgate. Originally, it had white "Ford" lettering which I have thought to go back with. Have even thought about red lettering as I have a red pinstripe running down both sides of my truck. The more I look at it, think I may just leave it as is.

IMG_10281519.thumb.jpg.91d78315a9dbad3b79a7ae9c3a09bb07.jpg

Fixed latch assembly and repainted my tailgate. Originally, it had white "Ford" lettering which I have thought to go back with. Have even thought about red lettering as I have a red pinstripe running down both sides of my truck. The more I look at it, think I may just leave it as is.

Looks great! I don't think I'd go back with white. But red pinstripe?