Bullnose Forums

Hard To Start After Warming Up

Hey all, I've got an issue where my 86 F-150 (manual) is having a hard time starting after it's been warmed up. As in, I start it at home, get to where I'm going, and then successive starts are very sluggish. Battery is strong and turns right over on a cold start.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

That's a classic starter-dragging issue. The bearings on the starter get worn and when the starter gets hot the armature is just large enough from expansion that it drags. But when it cools it shrinks just enough to miss. For a while.

Not all starter tests will find that, but most will if they spin it for a bit and let it warm up.

That's a classic starter-dragging issue. The bearings on the starter get worn and when the starter gets hot the armature is just large enough from expansion that it drags. But when it cools it shrinks just enough to miss. For a while.

Not all starter tests will find that, but most will if they spin it for a bit and let it warm up.

When this happens, quickly disable the ignition coil and attempt to restart. If the starter motor spins the engine freely, your timing may be too advanced.

When this happens, quickly disable the ignition coil and attempt to restart. If the starter motor spins the engine freely, your timing may be too advanced.

Probably a good time to disconnect the SpOut connector and check the base timing.

Thanks guys. I'll give these a shot!

If the starter is bad, a recommendation is to do away with the moveable pole piece one and get a later model PMGR starter. If yours is automatic, a 1990 Lincoln Town Car one is perfect for it. There is a small bit of rewiring at the starter relay, but it is fairly easy.

worst case scenario for me when this happened with the 429 engine in my t-bird was that the rings were bad, expanding in the cylinder, then labored starting, then when it cooled off it started.

Fairly uncommon issue, highly unlikely it is this!

• 2 months later...

Late reply, but you were right, Gary. I pulled the cheap starter out that I got from Advance and replaced it with a refurbished Motorcraft. Night and day. Starts every time now. Thanks!