Bullnose Forums

zf5 swap reasonable?

The guys are right - make SURE it is a ZF. Not saying the other isn't a good transmission, but just want you to not be surprised.

Ya, make sure it is actually a ZF5 if what he wants is a ZF5.

The M5OD-R2 is the standard 5spd trans used in F150's and Bronco's from 1987-1996, and it was also used in pickups after that as well. It is a good transmission and Ford pumped out millions of 'em over the years, but one key point in his situation is that Ford never did offer that transmission behind a 351w. It was basically a 300/6 and 302 transmission. I quite like how mine shifts. There is no doubt that is IS a truck transmission...it shifts like a truck, but it IS a half-ton transmission.

The M5OD-R2 did come in the F250 as long as it was under 8500gvwr (I think that was the rating). Mine came out of a 1991 F250 2wd with a 302.

The guys are right - make SURE it is a ZF. Not saying the other isn't a good transmission, but just want you to not be surprised.

Ya, make sure it is actually a ZF5 if what he wants is a ZF5.

The M5OD-R2 is the standard 5spd trans used in F150's and Bronco's from 1987-1996, and it was also used in pickups after that as well. It is a good transmission and Ford pumped out millions of 'em over the years, but one key point in his situation is that Ford never did offer that transmission behind a 351w. It was basically a 300/6 and 302 transmission. I quite like how mine shifts. There is no doubt that is IS a truck transmission...it shifts like a truck, but it IS a half-ton transmission.

The M5OD-R2 did come in the F250 as long as it was under 8500gvwr (I think that was the rating). Mine came out of a 1991 F250 2wd with a 302.

Got it and got it. Will definitely check the stamping.

With regards to the SB version, is there a difference between 4wd and 2wd?

Got it and got it. Will definitely check the stamping.

With regards to the SB version, is there a difference between 4wd and 2wd?

Yes. All of the transmissions have two versions - 2wd and 4wd. The former have a tailshaft housing that goes way back and has a rear seal, bearing, etc. But the 4wd vs has a place on which to bolt the t-case and a splined output shaft that engages the t-case. And you can't just unbolt the tailshaft housing from the 2wd and bolt a t-case on.

Yes. All of the transmissions have two versions - 2wd and 4wd. The former have a tailshaft housing that goes way back and has a rear seal, bearing, etc. But the 4wd vs has a place on which to bolt the t-case and a splined output shaft that engages the t-case. And you can't just unbolt the tailshaft housing from the 2wd and bolt a t-case on.

Gary,

What is the quick and dirty way to ID a ZF5 from under a truck? Does it have access covers for PTO, etc?

Great. Thanks for clarifying, Gary.

I know I need the cross-member and shifter. Do I also need the transmission tunnel from the truck? I don't mind buying a new clutch, but is there anything else that I should get from the donor to make it easier (like wiring)? Like I said most of the articles I've found online have to do with auto to manual swap, so I can't really use that as reference.

Thanks

Great. Thanks for clarifying, Gary.

I know I need the cross-member and shifter. Do I also need the transmission tunnel from the truck? I don't mind buying a new clutch, but is there anything else that I should get from the donor to make it easier (like wiring)? Like I said most of the articles I've found online have to do with auto to manual swap, so I can't really use that as reference.

Thanks

Cory - Yes, a ZF5 has PTO covers, as shown here in the oval. Note that the tranny in the pic is either for a 460 or a diesel as it has the boss for the clutch slave, pointed to by the arrow. Small-block ZF5's have a slave that is concentric to the input shaft and there's no boss for the slave on the outside.

ZF5.thumb.jpg.cd8c349972218aec63a7134bc8a035c3.jpg

Chad - You will need the taller cover from the other truck if the tranny is a ZF5 as the lower cover won't clear. And it would be good to get the crossmember and the associated gussets. If you use your existing crossmember it will need to be moved to the rear about 1", and while drilling new holes in the bottom of the frame for the crossmember itself isn't all that hard, drilling them in the top of the frame is a huge pain. But the ZF crossmember should make it a lot easier.

On the wiring, I think the ZF uses the same backup light connector as the other transmissions. At least the connector on Big Blue seemed to work.

Cory - Yes, a ZF5 has PTO covers, as shown here in the oval. Note that the tranny in the pic is either for a 460 or a diesel as it has the boss for the clutch slave, pointed to by the arrow. Small-block ZF5's have a slave that is concentric to the input shaft and there's no boss for the slave on the outside.

Chad - You will need the taller cover from the other truck if the tranny is a ZF5 as the lower cover won't clear. And it would be good to get the crossmember and the associated gussets. If you use your existing crossmember it will need to be moved to the rear about 1", and while drilling new holes in the bottom of the frame for the crossmember itself isn't all that hard, drilling them in the top of the frame is a huge pain. But the ZF crossmember should make it a lot easier.

On the wiring, I think the ZF uses the same backup light connector as the other transmissions. At least the connector on Big Blue seemed to work.

Gary,

Would it be wise to grab the driveshafts from the donor truck as well?

Yes, it sure would. The existing shaft might work, but the one with the ZF is more likely to do so.

He sent me this pic, but I'm going to go down there in person tomorrow and take a closer look. This looks like a SB ZF5 4x4 to me. No boss, right?

tran1_-_Copy.jpg.1fbb64b9e3d3dd345df028637a95adbe.jpg