Bullnose Forums

zf5 swap reasonable?

Hey folks,

I just came across a zf5 transmission from a 92 F150 (4.9l) that has been rebuilt. I'm considering buying it for an eventual install and wanted input from those who know it much better than me. FYI I have Googled this a bit and I am finding an OVERWHELMING amount of info, but almost all of it applies to automatic to manual swaps, or later generations of trucks, so I don't know what will apply in my case.

Currently, I have an 84 Bronco with a 351W and a 4sp manual (E4TR). I love driving my truck but the gearing sucks, especially at highway speeds. I really want 5 speeds. Additionally, I have a non-original motor, so down the road I might consider dropping in a 460 instead of rebuilding the 351.

So, here are my questions:

Is there any reason that the zf5 from a 92 f150 with a 302 wouldn't mate up to my 351 in my 84?

Do I also have to change out the transfer case and clutch? What about the master cylinder?

Are there any differences in the zf5 transmission across the years?

If I ultimately replace the 351 with a 460, will the zf5 mate up to the 460 without issue?

Lastly, what do you think a freshly rebuilt zf5 transmission should cost (not installed)?

Best to you all,

Chad

My answers, in bold:

• Is there any reason that the zf5 from a 92 f150 with a 302 wouldn't mate up to my 351 in my 84?

It should bolt up just fine.

• Do I also have to change out the transfer case and clutch? What about the master cylinder? I think the small-block ZF5 uses the same input shaft as your current transmission, so it should use the same clutch and master cylinder. And all the transfer cases swap right over.

• Are there any differences in the zf5 transmission across the years? Maybe, but if it was truly rebuilt it should have any changes added. However there was the ZF5-42 and later the -47. They were supposedly capable of withstanding 420 and 470 lb-ft respectively. The '92 should have the -42, which is what I have in Big Blue, so I think you'll be fine.

• If I ultimately replace the 351 with a 460, will the zf5 mate up to the 460 without issue? No. The two engine series have very different bolt patterns for the transmissions. A 460 takes the "big block" pattern.

• Lastly, what do you think a freshly rebuilt zf5 transmission should cost (not installed)? I paid $500 several years ago for a ZF5-42, BW-1356 transmission case, shifter, etc. But it had problems and I had it rebuilt by a professional, but he was moonlighting, for ~$1000. But ZF's require several specific tools, and take someone that knows what they are doing to rebuild them well. So unless a pro built it I'd be concerned. Midwest Transmission is where I got the parts for mine and they seem to know what they are doing. And they offer a rebuilt small-block transmission for $1367. But I don't know if that requires a core. And it is probably plus shipping.

My answers, in bold:

• Is there any reason that the zf5 from a 92 f150 with a 302 wouldn't mate up to my 351 in my 84?

It should bolt up just fine.

• Do I also have to change out the transfer case and clutch? What about the master cylinder? I think the small-block ZF5 uses the same input shaft as your current transmission, so it should use the same clutch and master cylinder. And all the transfer cases swap right over.

• Are there any differences in the zf5 transmission across the years? Maybe, but if it was truly rebuilt it should have any changes added. However there was the ZF5-42 and later the -47. They were supposedly capable of withstanding 420 and 470 lb-ft respectively. The '92 should have the -42, which is what I have in Big Blue, so I think you'll be fine.

• If I ultimately replace the 351 with a 460, will the zf5 mate up to the 460 without issue? No. The two engine series have very different bolt patterns for the transmissions. A 460 takes the "big block" pattern.

• Lastly, what do you think a freshly rebuilt zf5 transmission should cost (not installed)? I paid $500 several years ago for a ZF5-42, BW-1356 transmission case, shifter, etc. But it had problems and I had it rebuilt by a professional, but he was moonlighting, for ~$1000. But ZF's require several specific tools, and take someone that knows what they are doing to rebuild them well. So unless a pro built it I'd be concerned. Midwest Transmission is where I got the parts for mine and they seem to know what they are doing. And they offer a rebuilt small-block transmission for $1367. But I don't know if that requires a core. And it is probably plus shipping.

Thanks Gary. As usual, a wealth of info.

I'm still confused about something. I'm seeing zf5 transmissions listed as coming along with 7.3l engines. Is this a different zf5 or does it have a different bellhousing, for example? Here's a CL ad that shows what I mean:

https://roanoke.craigslist.org/wan/d/pearisburg-zf5/7133772348.html

Thanks as always for your help.

I'm still confused about something. I'm seeing zf5 transmissions listed as coming along with 7.3l engines. Is this a different zf5 or does it have a different bellhousing, for example? Here's a CL ad that shows what I mean:

Would a 1992 F150 with 4.9L originally have a ZF? Or, would it have been the Mazda 5 speed? :nabble_anim_confused:

Is there any reason that the zf5 from a 92 f150 with a 302 wouldn't mate up to my 351 in my 84?

Are you sure it's a ZF5 transmission? A 1992 F150 with a 302 would have had the lighter duty M5OD-R2 transmission...used in half tons and light duty 3/4 tons.

Although there has been talk/comments that the ZF5 was offered in F150's, I have never actually seen one, nor has anyone else that I know of.

Just want to make sure that you have the right transmission is all.

And yes if you have a hydraulic clutch now you can re-use your existing Bullnose master cylinder and simply buy the 1992 version of the hydraulic line and slave cylinder.

Are you sure it's a ZF5 transmission? A 1992 F150 with a 302 would have had the lighter duty M5OD-R2 transmission...used in half tons and light duty 3/4 tons.

Although there has been talk/comments that the ZF5 was offered in F150's, I have never actually seen one, nor has anyone else that I know of.

Just want to make sure that you have the right transmission is all.

And yes if you have a hydraulic clutch now you can re-use your existing Bullnose master cylinder and simply buy the 1992 version of the hydraulic line and slave cylinder.

Hmmm, Cory... look at our post times. Great minds thinking alike? :nabble_anim_handshake:

The guys are right - make SURE it is a ZF. Not saying the other isn't a good transmission, but just want you to not be surprised.

As for the 7.3L diesel, the 460's and small-block Zf's had a wide-ratio gear set and the diesels, both 6.9 and 7.3, had a close-ratio set.

Hmmm, Cory... look at our post times. Great minds thinking alike? :nabble_anim_handshake:

:nabble_smiley_good::nabble_anim_handshake:

Hi guys,

The short answer is, "I don't know."

The long answer is, it's being parted out and the transmission is also available. I assumed it was original to the vehicle and rebuilt, but it may be from another vehicle and rebuilt.

Hi guys,

The short answer is, "I don't know."

The long answer is, it's being parted out and the transmission is also available. I assumed it was original to the vehicle and rebuilt, but it may be from another vehicle and rebuilt.

The guys are saying that if it is original to the vehicle it should not be a ZF5.

And yes, there is a big difference between a ZF5 for a small-block and a 460. Besides the fact that the input shafts are completely different sizes, the small-block one won't bolt to the 460 nor vice versa.

What you may be missing is that these transmissions include the bell housing. It is all one case.