Bullnose Forums

1984 F-150 302 Windsor 2WD - "Old Red"

JMUBullnose

Back it out a bit if it is banging into the gears, make sure nothing is keeping the rod from coming all the way forward. If you do have a transmission flush done, be damn sure they replace the filter afterwards, otherwise all the varnish and sludge in it will wind up in the filter. One thing, Ford transmissions do have converter drain plugs, it is on the front of the converter on an AOD.

Back it out a bit if it is banging into the gears, make sure nothing is keeping the rod from coming all the way forward. If you do have a transmission flush done, be damn sure they replace the filter afterwards, otherwise all the varnish and sludge in it will wind up in the filter. One thing, Ford transmissions do have converter drain plugs, it is on the front of the converter on an AOD.
I'll try backing that screw out a bit more. I think I did a half turn out. The rod snaps right back when I push it back towards the firewall. Coincidentally - that rod has a lot of side to side play on it - should it be that loose? back and forth it's nice and firm though.

"What GIS hath wrought, let no man, except management, tear asunder" - A. Wise Analyst

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 5:06 PM, 85lebaront2 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, the side to side is normal on those, the C6 downshift rod would be the same way.

Alright - I just went out to the parking lot during my lunch break and backed it out another whole turn. So now I'm at 1.5 turns out. We'll see how OD performs on the drive home!

Alright - I just went out to the parking lot during my lunch break and backed it out another whole turn. So now I'm at 1.5 turns out. We'll see how OD performs on the drive home!

Alright - so report from yesterdays drive home. At highway speeds, OD seemed to perform fine. The surprise was when I was in the 15-25mph range while rolling away from a stop light to go up an overpass/flyover. The sucker started shaking and shuddering- I'm pretty sure I even heard some clanging. At first I thought the engine was having some issues but once I heard the clanging/banging echoing back from the jersey barrier as I slogged up the flyover I was pretty sure it was the transmission. Luckily I was within a mile or two of home, so I switched out of OD and babied Old Red all the way home.

So far I'm 1.5 turns out on that screw, when I started my ~30 mile drive home, it was shifting great through 2nd, 3rd and into OD (while on the highway). The last couple miles are what threw me.

Also what surprised me...I burned half through half of the gas in the rear tank just going ~50 miles.

Alright - so report from yesterdays drive home. At highway speeds, OD seemed to perform fine. The surprise was when I was in the 15-25mph range while rolling away from a stop light to go up an overpass/flyover. The sucker started shaking and shuddering- I'm pretty sure I even heard some clanging. At first I thought the engine was having some issues but once I heard the clanging/banging echoing back from the jersey barrier as I slogged up the flyover I was pretty sure it was the transmission. Luckily I was within a mile or two of home, so I switched out of OD and babied Old Red all the way home.

So far I'm 1.5 turns out on that screw, when I started my ~30 mile drive home, it was shifting great through 2nd, 3rd and into OD (while on the highway). The last couple miles are what threw me.

Also what surprised me...I burned half through half of the gas in the rear tank just going ~50 miles.

I would check the U-joints, they will raise all sorts of noise if they are going bad. I had one that was so frozen I could barely move it and it would shake the whole truck at 45 mph.

I would check the U-joints, they will raise all sorts of noise if they are going bad. I had one that was so frozen I could barely move it and it would shake the whole truck at 45 mph.

I wouldn't describe this so much as shaking the truck...more like slamming the truck around from the transmission up! I was hoping to drive Old Red on Friday - now the question is...turn the screw in a turn (so 1 turn out) or go out another half turn or so. Afraid I'm going to blow something up! (This is all damned new to me!)

I wouldn't describe this so much as shaking the truck...more like slamming the truck around from the transmission up! I was hoping to drive Old Red on Friday - now the question is...turn the screw in a turn (so 1 turn out) or go out another half turn or so. Afraid I'm going to blow something up! (This is all damned new to me!)

I'm guessing that you are going into overdrive way too early and the engine is bucking at the load at such a low RPM. The fact that you were able to drive it with the OD switched off supports my theory.

Did it drive correctly with the OD switched off?

I don't think you should be going into OD before hitting about 45 MPH. So whatever adjustments need to be made to get you there is what I'd recommend.

I'm guessing that you are going into overdrive way too early and the engine is bucking at the load at such a low RPM. The fact that you were able to drive it with the OD switched off supports my theory.Did it drive correctly with the OD switched off?I don't think you should be going into OD before hitting about 45 MPH. So whatever adjustments need to be made to get you there is what I'd recommend.
Hmmm, thanks Gary - I mulled that over for a bit. It's possible I should have been turning the screw in instead of backing out. That'll be my next experiment!

"What GIS hath wrought, let no man, except management, tear asunder" - A. Wise Analyst

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:33 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

• 2 weeks later...