Bullnose Forums

Pulling the trigger

I think I’d definitely upgrade to the DS-II and non-feedback carb. At this point, I just need to get it home. It’s 2 hours away so I’m weighing my options.

Just heard back that they did replace the rubber line from the top of the tank all the way to the fuel pump. So at this point I suppose it could be TFI ignition that I’ll have to test for. Time to dig into Ford ignition systems! LOL

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I’d definitely upgrade to the DS-II and non-feedback carb. At this point, I just need to get it home. It’s 2 hours away so I’m weighing my options.

Yes, get it home and then figure out what you have and what you should do to fix it.

But in the pic below I think I see a TFI module on the distributor. It is an aluminum thing, and if you have it you won't have one of these on the driver's fender liner:

dy893.jpg.1b39e569b88da087faee201956c306e4.jpg

As for the pics, you've run afoul of the poor pic uploading s/w on this forum. How to use it is explained in Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's. But I took the liberty of editing your pic and show it here:

Frazer_James.jpg.707bde16b2f6c894825154ad5680c9ff.jpg

Yes, get it home and then figure out what you have and what you should do to fix it.

But in the pic below I think I see a TFI module on the distributor. It is an aluminum thing, and if you have it you won't have one of these on the driver's fender liner:

As for the pics, you've run afoul of the poor pic uploading s/w on this forum. How to use it is explained in Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's. But I took the liberty of editing your pic and show it here:

Thanks for the pic adjustment! I did skim that FAQ on image uploads, but honestly thought it was for folks who might not be familiar with forums. Sorry about that.

In the meantime I’ve found out from the seller that the smog work around was done before the truck sat for 12 years and ran fine before it was parked. All rubber lines from the tank to the pump were replaced. No rust or leaks on the hard line (although I did find a thread somewhere about cracks in the hardline leading to this same problem). He strongly believes that the tank needs to be cleaned out because the fuel gauge isn’t working. Do you think that makes sense?

I might try driving it with the cap off to see if that helps get fuel flowing.

Thanks for the pic adjustment! I did skim that FAQ on image uploads, but honestly thought it was for folks who might not be familiar with forums. Sorry about that.

In the meantime I’ve found out from the seller that the smog work around was done before the truck sat for 12 years and ran fine before it was parked. All rubber lines from the tank to the pump were replaced. No rust or leaks on the hard line (although I did find a thread somewhere about cracks in the hardline leading to this same problem). He strongly believes that the tank needs to be cleaned out because the fuel gauge isn’t working. Do you think that makes sense?

I might try driving it with the cap off to see if that helps get fuel flowing.

There's a "sock" on the end of the pickup in the tank. Some have said that they get clogged and cause problems like this. The solution is supposedly to put compressed air on the line just before it gets to the fuel pump and if the sock is clogged it'll get blown off the end of the tube in the tank. The socks are very coarse mesh, so they only keep out really big things. I like to run a clear plastic filter just ahead of the fuel pump to catch anything coming from the tank, and think that would be the way to go instead of flushing the tank.

As for the gauge, the sending units in these trucks are pretty bad about failing, especially if not used for a long time as the moisture in the tanks attacks the resistor and slider in the sending unit. I think the gauge problem is separate from the engine problem, so would try to address them individually.

There's a "sock" on the end of the pickup in the tank. Some have said that they get clogged and cause problems like this. The solution is supposedly to put compressed air on the line just before it gets to the fuel pump and if the sock is clogged it'll get blown off the end of the tube in the tank. The socks are very coarse mesh, so they only keep out really big things. I like to run a clear plastic filter just ahead of the fuel pump to catch anything coming from the tank, and think that would be the way to go instead of flushing the tank.

As for the gauge, the sending units in these trucks are pretty bad about failing, especially if not used for a long time as the moisture in the tanks attacks the resistor and slider in the sending unit. I think the gauge problem is separate from the engine problem, so would try to address them individually.

Gary, you know your stuff! Thanks so much. I can probably just use the pre filters from the Mercedes. They keep the big stuff out the same way.

Gary, you know your stuff! Thanks so much. I can probably just use the pre filters from the Mercedes. They keep the big stuff out the same way.

There are lots of people on here that know far more than I do. I'm just the "research librarian" - I usually know where I put things. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Just heard back that they did replace the rubber line from the top of the tank all the way to the fuel pump. So at this point I suppose it could be TFI ignition that I’ll have to test for. Time to dig into Ford ignition systems! LOL

I might get slapped for this. Scrap the stock ignition and go with an MSD 6A. I've used MSD boxes on everything from race cars to street cars. I put one on the 351c in my 83 F100. 100% improvement.

I see you're from St. Louis. I'm from North County. Grew up in the Ferguson/Dellwood area. Went to Hazelwood Central and North Count Tech. I live in Mt. Vernon, MO these days. My music room (guitars and records. You know, those round, flat vinyl things) is a K-SHE shrine! Miss the Lou.

I might get slapped for this. Scrap the stock ignition and go with an MSD 6A. I've used MSD boxes on everything from race cars to street cars. I put one on the 351c in my 83 F100. 100% improvement.

I see you're from St. Louis. I'm from North County. Grew up in the Ferguson/Dellwood area. Went to Hazelwood Central and North Count Tech. I live in Mt. Vernon, MO these days. My music room (guitars and records. You know, those round, flat vinyl things) is a K-SHE shrine! Miss the Lou.

Hey, I’m up for all suggestions! Thanks for the recommendation!

I’m also a music lover and have a collection of those round things! Kshe isn’t what it used to be sadly, but STL is indeed a great town.

From the picture I can see they've already installed a filter before the pump. It looks rather dark(dirty) though... And if it's only recently been done, then the tank might be nasty?

From the picture I can see they've already installed a filter before the pump. It looks rather dark(dirty) though... And if it's only recently been done, then the tank might be nasty?

Ah! Is that what that brown thing is in the line? I suppose sitting for 12 years could do that... I wonder if I just drop the tank and clean it out, if that’ll do it.