Bullnose Forums

Transmission swap in an 83 f100 flareside question

The Carter AFB is a great carb. Edelbrock bought the rights to them, I believe when Carter went out of business. I had an uncle who was an engineer at Carter in St. Louis. He retired from there in the mid 70's.

I thought about trying a few things, just to keep it moveable but, don't really want to waste time and money on something that I'm just going to replace in the end.

Do you still have those U.S. slotted mags? I had the same mags on all 4 corners of a 1967 Chevy van back in the 70's and on a 71 Duster 340. U.S. mags is still in business. Those slots are right up there with the Crager SS mags.

The Aluminum Four Barrel was a great carb, but the Air Valve Secondary was better. The ability to adjust the the opening of the secondaries with an allen wrench and a small screwdriver was magic compared to grinding weight off or welding it on after disassembling the whole carb.

A 1971 Duster 340 ran good! I remember one hanging with my '69 Bee quite well. (And, by the way, the 383 on my Bee had an AVS, not a Holley. Long story if you are interested.)

The Carter AFB is a great carb. Edelbrock bought the rights to them, I believe when Carter went out of business. I had an uncle who was an engineer at Carter in St. Louis. He retired from there in the mid 70's.

I thought about trying a few things, just to keep it moveable but, don't really want to waste time and money on something that I'm just going to replace in the end.

Do you still have those U.S. slotted mags? I had the same mags on all 4 corners of a 1967 Chevy van back in the 70's and on a 71 Duster 340. U.S. mags is still in business. Those slots are right up there with the Crager SS mags.

I took that picture yesterday morning, so yes, I still have the mags and I have been offered a lot of money for them over the last few years.

Yea, the carter was a good carb, but a pain in the a..........butt to rebuild. You could rejet the holley at the track in a matter of minutes. Thats why I run them.

The Aluminum Four Barrel was a great carb, but the Air Valve Secondary was better. The ability to adjust the the opening of the secondaries with an allen wrench and a small screwdriver was magic compared to grinding weight off or welding it on after disassembling the whole carb.

A 1971 Duster 340 ran good! I remember one hanging with my '69 Bee quite well. (And, by the way, the 383 on my Bee had an AVS, not a Holley. Long story if you are interested.)

Gary, the AVS is a blast from the past and a whole lot better then the thermoquad carb that replaced it.