Bullnose Forums

Merry Christmas! Documentation Is Ready

Based on the way the NP208 tab turned out, I upgraded the BW1345 tab on the Driveline/Transfer Cases page. It now includes the illustration and parts list from the master parts catalog and both Ford's rebuild/repair instructions from the factory shop manual as well as Borg-Warner's service manual.

Thanks Gary! Unless plans change both of my trucks will have 1345’s and these documents are very nice to have...

Unfortunately we already know of one part for them that cannot be found...

:nabble_smiley_sad:

The speedometer drive gear. I tried to find the yellow one and the green one with no luck. I ended up buying a used transfer case that had a good gear.

Oh yes! Thanks. Did I call around here in Tulsa? There are three, I think, 4wd places that deal with used parts.

Oh yes! Thanks. Did I call around here in Tulsa? There are three, I think, 4wd places that deal with used parts.

Gary, I know you did some hunting on my behalf but I don’t know where you checked. I guess for me it is water under the bridge since I solved it with a low mileage transfer case with a good gear. This is one of those things, though, that would be good to have a spare of. My other 1345 is exempt from this problem as it has the GVOD rear case and the speedometer is driven by a GM gear in the GVOD output housing.

Gary, I know you did some hunting on my behalf but I don’t know where you checked. I guess for me it is water under the bridge since I solved it with a low mileage transfer case with a good gear. This is one of those things, though, that would be good to have a spare of. My other 1345 is exempt from this problem as it has the GVOD rear case and the speedometer is driven by a GM gear in the GVOD output housing.

I am damn glad I got rid of that issue on Darth, makes no difference what type of drive train, the speedometer signal comes off the rear axle tone ring.

I am damn glad I got rid of that issue on Darth, makes no difference what type of drive train, the speedometer signal comes off the rear axle tone ring.

So are you using an electric speedometer then? I have one of the 90’s medium duty electric speedometers that fits the Bullnose cluster, and I wondered about running it off of the tone ring since my crew cab axle is out of a ‘96. My only lament would be that is does not have a trip odometer and the scale goes only to 75mph.

I have one of the 90’s medium duty electric speedometers that fits the Bullnose cluster, and I wondered about running it off of the tone ring since my crew cab axle is out of a ‘96. My only lament would be that is does not have a trip odometer and the scale goes only to 75mph.
PSOMs are common in JYs, so get the regular 85mph version. The captions in this photo album explain almost everything you never wanted to know about it:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/76023/thumbnail/cluster-front.jpg

I did that to my '83 back when I got sick of fighting speedo cables & gears, with tire changes, and low vacuum to the cruise servo...

I have one of the 90’s medium duty electric speedometers that fits the Bullnose cluster, and I wondered about running it off of the tone ring since my crew cab axle is out of a ‘96. My only lament would be that is does not have a trip odometer and the scale goes only to 75mph.
PSOMs are common in JYs, so get the regular 85mph version. The captions in this photo album explain almost everything you never wanted to know about it:

I did that to my '83 back when I got sick of fighting speedo cables & gears, with tire changes, and low vacuum to the cruise servo...

Today I added a 1986 F-Series brochure: Literature/1986

Steve, that is an impressive write up! You certainly don’t have to sell me on the merits of ditching the cable and gears, but I have to say that I am partial to the look of the original gauges. That would be the deal breaker for me unless there is a way to get one of the medium duty electric units working. I’m not sure how they do it, as the odometer is still a set of mechanical wheels, not a digital display. Gary, my apologies for derailing your documentation thread, perhaps these posts could me moved into a new topic?